Light-O-Rama Forums

What's the most amateurish mistake you'll admit to?

Sctiger

I'll go first....my comeback season after a year off has been nothing short of troublesome. (Good thing I'm not a drinking man!) From a loss of a controller, to bad weather, to careless mistakes..you name it, it's probably happened.

When I finally got the show up and going (late of course), I kept noticing one prop was on when it shouldn't be. In this case, a flood light for the nativity. Not a terrible thing but it suddenly lighting up during Fat Bottomed Girls might would prove a bit problematic. I physically traced the cord back to the controller several times, ensuring it was plugged into port "6". I concluded that it had to be a prop assignment issue since I had to merge 3 A/C controllers down to 2. Nope. Everything checked out. Then last night, a revelation struck as I was standing outside. I traced the cord back to the controller and there it was. I was plugged into the "upside down" 6.  Yes. I was plugged into port 9 instead! 😂🤣 

Merry Christmas fellows! I hope your lighting season is a great one full of great memories.

I keep forgetting to start the Control Panel so the Com Listener starts. Then my lights don't work and I spend two hours trying to figure out why and get angry, then I remember the Control Panel and get angry at myself. I have done it several times.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I keep forgetting to start the Control Panel so the Com Listener starts.

Mr. P, Ya know there is a checkbox to "Launch at startup", right??

Another situation, I go outside and power everything on and low and behold a few strings of lights come on on some of my E1.31 controllers. Hmmm, why did those come on? AAHH, open the Control Panel and the lights go out, brain fart.

12 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Checkbox? Where? Why haven't I seen this in all these years?

Right click on LOR light bulb in system tray > 4th item from the bottom.

Checked my Router. DHCP range was set to 10.0.0.2-253. I had 4 E1.31 device to name, so the first was set to 10.0.0.254. I rebooted it and was happy to see it pop up in the browser. So on to the next! 10.0.0.255 It took me 3 days to realize what I’d done wrong. Then another day before I remembered how to get a default page up so I could correct it. Needless to say, the DHCP range is a little bit less now to make room for static IPs. Happy times! ;-)