Light-O-Rama Forums

Can't assign channel number to CTB16PCg3

Kulstad

My neighbour has 8 16-channel boxes for his Christmas setup (combination of CTB16Dv5 and another series I'm not certain of, but the boards are green [and are older]), and one of the boxes needs to be repaired (network port is loose on the board).  We have swapped in a CTB16PCg3 to replace the faulty box, however we cannot assign it a number on the network.  The other boxes on the network have dials to physically set the unit numbers, but the 16D does not.  We have tried connecting directly to the 16D from the Hardware Utility to set the number (using the left-hand-side options on the HU), with nothing else connected, but it still won't assign a number.  Is there something we are missing?  Are there jumpers on the board that need to be set instead of a dial?

The CTB16PC series does not have dials, as you have found out. The only way to set the address is with the HWU.

When you connect the controller to the HWU, are you able to hit "Search" and find the device?
When connected to the controller w/ the HWU, is the status light solid?
What Unit ID does it find (if any)
When you attempt to set the address, does it give you any error messages?

5 minutes ago, Don said:

The CTB16PC series does not have dials, as you have found out. The only way to set the address is with the HWU.

When you connect the controller to the HWU, are you able to hit "Search" and find the device?
When connected to the controller w/ the HWU, is the status light solid?
What Unit ID does it find (if any)
When you attempt to set the address, does it give you any error messages?

1. yes, it found the unit when connected directly (also found it once when doing a complete network search with all boxes, including new box, connected)

2. yes, the status light was solid

3. the unit id returned was 1

4. yes, there was an error message, but when putting a checkmark in the upper-left-hand side of the HU screeen in the SET UNIT IDs section (the IGNORE ERRORS box), the warning message that appeared was directly related to the error message I was receiving (forgive me, I did not take pictures of the error, and the network is across the street at my neighbout's house).

I should also mention that when I did the very first network scan (all boxes, including the new box, connected), the scan returned one unknown unit (which we assumed was the new box), but could not assign a unit id to it then, either.  When we were unsuccessful in assigning a unit id directly to the box (in "solitary" mode), we tried a network scan again, but there was no sign of the new box at all.

This is the exact error message (image 1), which makes no sense because the network scan finds it (can't upload screenshot of that.....too big)

When I click the checkbox on the left-hand-side, this is the warning (image 2)

003.png

004.png

Edited by Kulstad

Assuming you are using the "Change Existing ID" part of the HU.  For the Old Unit ID, are you using the specific number for the Unit ID or the "Any Unit" selection?  Have you tried both methods?  Have you tried using the "Set New Unit ID" section?  Obviously you need to do some of these with only the one controller connected.

36 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Assuming you are using the "Change Existing ID" part of the HU.  For the Old Unit ID, are you using the specific number for the Unit ID or the "Any Unit" selection?  Have you tried both methods?  Have you tried using the "Set New Unit ID" section?  Obviously you need to do some of these with only the one controller connected.

To be honest, the only section we tried using was the Set New Unit ID section (including the IGNORE ERRORS checkbox), as we are not able to see the "new" box on the network, so this would have been in "stand alone" mode.

You have the other options - give them a try.  You have nothing to lose.

And to be honest, I don't know with reading how different the process is for the Set New ID mode.

Never use the "Set New Unit ID", I have never got that to work in 10 years. Always connect the controller by itself and Use the "Change Existing ID", select "Any Unit" and then select the ID you want it to be.