Light-O-Rama Forums

Some Pixels not working

Lightnewbie

Hey guys. I have 200 pixels that are connected to port of my Alphapix4 with an 20 foot extension cable and utilize two universes.These wrap around my roof. but the last 25 pixels aren’t lighting up. Any help? I’ve tried reducing the brightness and that doesn’t work. 

Edited by Lightnewbie

200 pixels on one universe is too many. 200 pixels is 600 channels and there is only 512 channels in a universe. Put the second 100 string on a separate universe.

170 pixels is the max on a universe that equals 510 channels. K.I.S.S and separate the strings.

Edited by Mr. P

11 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

200 pixels on one universe is too many. 200 pixels is 600 channels and there is only 512 channels in a universe. Put the second 100 string on a separate universe.

170 pixels is the max on a universe that equals 510 channels. K.I.S.S and separate the strings.

Shoot I misspoke. I meant the 200 pixels are connected to 1 channel of my Alphapix4 but utilize two universes. Im still getting used to terminology. 

3 minutes ago, Lightnewbie said:

Shoot I misspoke. I meant the 200 pixels are connected to 1 channel of my Alphapix4 but utilize two universes. Im still getting used to terminology. 

So you have 200 pixels connected to one port on a Alphapix4. An alphapix4 can handle 2 universes per port or up to 340 pixels so make sure the controller is configured properly through its webpage. You didn't state if you are power injecting, if not then you probably ran out of oomph and probably need to.

• The title was changed to Some Pixels not working
2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

So you have 200 pixels connected to one port on a Alphapix4. An alphapix4 can handle 2 universes per port or up to 340 pixels so make sure the controller is configured properly through its webpage. You didn't state if you are power injecting, if not then you probably ran out of oomph and probably need to.

Yes sorry, 1 port not channel haha. I can attach a photo of my controller web interface configuration page later if you wouldn’t mind taking a look?? I appreciate the help. I am not power injecting and I suspected that was the issue. Would decreasing my 20 foot extension cable help to increase power? 

Decreasing the extension with that many pixels wouldn't help much. The general rule is 100 pixels for 12v and 50 pixels for 5v if you are using standard power pixels. Lower power pixels such as the ones LOR sells with their kits can be more. Some have gotten as many as 150-180 pixels without power injecting but I don't know anyone who has gotten more then that. Look at separating the strings and use two ports if they are available unless you want to power inject, personally I refuse to power inject and will buy another controller instead. 😁

• Thanks 1