Light-O-Rama Forums

Brand new ELL not transmitting/receiving

Serenata67

I have three controller boxes.  I currently have box 3 directly connected to my computer.  Box 1 is connected to box 3.  Box 1 has a brand new easy light linker (ELL) connected to transmit to box 2.  (Computer -> 3 --> 1 --> ELL --> ELL --> 2)  Boxes 3 and 1 get the test signal and are detected by the Hardware Utility.  The ELL plugged into box 1 is not transmitting, so I opened the ELL up.  The top LED is steadily blinking.  The middle LED is faintly blinking.

I also just upgraded my software to the latest version.  The ELLs are brand new and the boxes are older (7 or 8 years, I think).  I can't run a line between boxes 1 and 2 because there is a sidewalk there that I need to be able to shovel.  (I'm in Wisconsin, and I can guarantee that it will snow between now and the new year.)

What do I need to do to get the boxes to communicate with the ELL?  Do they need a firmware update to communicate?

What network speed are you using, and did you manually configure BOTH ELLs to use that speed?  The ELLs do not auto speed adjust.

1 hour ago, dgrant said:

The transmitting ELL or first one, needs to be connected to a powered USB adapter.

USB-RS485 Adapter with Booster

Booster not needed IF directly connected to a AC controller (or a Pixie with JP2 installed)  within 25' (of CAT5)

27 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Booster not needed IF directly connected to a AC controller (or a Pixie with JP2 installed)  within 25' (of CAT5)

Yes, very true, but I was thinking or assuming he's got it connected directly to his PC via a regular adapter and not the powered one. Its a mistake I personally made years ago and had to buy the proper adapter.

7 minutes ago, dgrant said:

Yes, very true, but I was thinking or assuming he's got it connected directly to his PC via a regular adapter and not the powered one. Its a mistake I personally made years ago and had to buy the proper adapter.

As I said in the OP, the ELL is connected to a controller.  Here's the diagram from the OP again:  Computer -> 3 --> 1 --> ELL --> ELL --> 2.  The computer connects to box 3.  Box 3 connects to box 1.  Box 1 has an ELL plugged into it that should communicate with the ELL on box 2.  (And, BTW, I'm not a he.  There are women out there who enjoy electronics and light shows.)

52 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

What network speed are you using, and did you manually configure BOTH ELLs to use that speed?  The ELLs do not auto speed adjust.

How do you manually configure the ELLs?  The documentation for the ELLs are kind of sporadic and not super clear.  Do you know where I might find the instructions to do that?

From the documentation:

Power Considerations
The RF-V5 requires at least 5vdc. Currently, only the CB100 and CA100 supply this lower voltage. All other controllers supply 9vdc, which works too.
With respect to current requirements, any LOR controller can power the RF-V5 as a receiver. With respect to current requirements, any two LOR controllers can power the RF-V5 as a transmitter.
Remember to limit the maximum total length of Cat5 cable between the two nearest controllers and the RF-V5 to 25’.
A single LOR controller released after 2007 can power an RF-V5 as a transmitter. 

What length of cable are you using? As for the age of the controllers, which controllers are they? CTB16PC's? Do they have a green status light?

Again, what is the speed of the LOR network, and did you manually set the network speed of BOTH ELLs to match your LOR network?

23 minutes ago, Serenata67 said:

How do you manually configure the ELLs?  The documentation for the ELLs are kind of sporadic and not super clear.  Do you know where I might find the instructions to do that?

Page 5 of the manual.  If for some reason you don't have the manual, here it is:  https://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/RF-V4-V5_Man_Web.pdf

And BTW, it's nice to have more women interested in electronics and lighting.  Welcome to the forum.