Light-O-Rama Forums

USB Hub for multiple USB-RS485-HS

MattJ

Hi folks

I'm considering moving away from my G3-MP3 director and going to a PC based show. I have an old PC that only has one USB port (an older MS Surface). 

I run 2 x eLOR neworks so need to use 2 x USB-RS485-HS adapters. 

This means I will need a USB hub to split my USP port on the PC.

I just tried the very cheap/free one that I had lying around and it did not work. Any advice for USB hub to support multiple USB-RS485-HS?

Cheers MattJ

Powered. Look at the power module that comes with it. It should have a minimum of 1/2A  (500ma) per port of the unit.

Your surface is underpowerd (USB wise, as well 😛). I have run 3 adapters (black, Red) on a unpowered hub, connected to mid range (at the time) Laptop.

Walmart sells some affordable, or Amazon.

I have 3 7 port hubs from walmart, They have been great for 6 years now i guess. You must get a HUB that gets its power from an electrical outlet not a computer. 

Edited by dibblejr

Hi Folks

My powered Hub turned up today and it looks like it's going to work. I need my second USB-RS485-HS adapter to arrive (hopefully this week) to be sure. 

It has left me with a couple of questions:

1. How many networks can I run this way? What limits the number of networks? The processing power of the laptop/pc?
  2. I'm currently running two nets just fine off a MN2-G3-MP3. When I plug my regular network into a USB-RS485-HS, everything freaks out. My mouse cursor goes nuts. LOR HW Manager will not recognize any units and keeps spewing "serial" errors when it scans the network. My regular network contains a CTB16PC that is providing POE. Could this be causing errors? Anything else sitting on a network that could cause this behavior? (I'm not going to get an opportunity to take controller out and troubleshoot until later this week) 

Thanks again folks!

Edited by MattJ
typos and clarity