Light-O-Rama Forums

10 Watt Flood pkg - PSU tripping GFCI

Dave Pursel

2nd year for using the 10 watt cmb24d flood package

10W RGB Flood Plug-n-Show Package
SKU: 10wrgbflplpa1

With no flood lights plugged in and with no cat5 cables plugged in...

when i apply power to the included power supply unit, it trips the GFCI immediately.  Note that this also occurs when plugged into 2 other GFCI's.

I popped the fuses and removed both of the red positive leads coming from the PSU to the cmb24d rgb circuit board and the GFCI still trips.

So this tell me that the GFCI tripping is caused by the PSU.

Interesting enough - if I reattach the leads and plug the PSU into a non-GFCI outlet, operation is normal.

Also, by then plugging in 6 of my floods - they all work normally when sending lighting commands via HU..

For grins, then plugging back into a GFCI, it starts tripping again.

Checking resistance between plug ground and plug hot shows no leakage.

Checking resistance between plug ground and metal circuit board mounting plate, show continuity.

Checking resistance between plug hot and metal circuit board shows no leakage.

Checking resistance between plug neutal and plug hot shows no continuity.

Has anyone seen this symptom or know of a fix other than calling LOR???

Not that specific problem, but I agree with your troubleshooting that the PSU is the issue.  One thing to keep in mind is that your DVM that you using for testing is operating at a very low voltage.  The AC power is over 150 volts at the peak, so your meter could easily miss something that arcs or leaks at the higher voltage.  There is likely a wire that has some insulation damage resulting in most likely hot and ground being close enough to arc at voltage, but not when measured by your DVM.  Could also be a component failure doing the same thing.

In other words, the GFCI did EXACTLY what it is designed to do and in this case if likely preventing a future worse failure - or killing you. The PSU should be replaced.

Could it be a input filter/ MOV breaking down? They do self destruct saving the rest of the electronics. The Smell test might prove that happened.

• 3 weeks later...

Tx for the feedback guys.  I'm temporarily bypassing the problem in a unsafe way.  Works perfectly outside of the GFCI tripping issue.   But no one has every entered the yard in my 24 years of shows.  Let alone touch one of the floods that possibly would get electrically energized.  It's been a real zoo lately and I'm finally at a point where I can work on improving my display and some associated issues.  Since my 1st usage was last years Christmas show, I'll be opening a ticket with LOR.  Hopefully it's covered by warranty.  Dave