Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 8D V4 HELP please

Donna

For starters, I made the mistake of upgrading my software to v6.1.4 and never got around to testing my equipment before now, I have been fighting for a week now with it.  Here is what my show is trying to consist of this year.

My license level is Pro

2 16 port AC controllers

1 Pixel Tree (Unit ID 40-47)

and the new Pixie 8D V4 controller that I did not get to add last year.

My problem is that I can not get the new Pixie 8d controller to work, correctly.  I have set it to be unit ID 7 and set it to dumb emulation (just trying to get past this point) and only get the 1st 8 lights on 4 strings to light up. I have changed the Unit ID to 20, which in the TSO Sequence it is setup as dumb pixels so I set the emulation again, no luck at all on that one. When I try to edit the design and change it to RGB Pixels and set the location of pixel 1 for each string, I loose the programming for the lighting that was there. I am pretty new at this having to modify sequences and honestly do not know much about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

2022-11-24 (1).png

In the Hardware Utility if you truly want your pixie8 to act as a dumb node you need to set the Logical Resolution to 1.

With that being said, if you are trying to copy from a dumb node sequence to a normal functioning Logical Resolution 50 controller you would not need to change anything and can simply copy paste as many times as you have pixels. To leave it normal just set the # of pixels in your prop to what you need. If you have 3 pixels just need to paste the same sequence row 3 times.

The choice is youres.

Open Hardware Utility - search for and locate the pixie8

Configuration/ Cosmic Color Ribbon - Pixie Configuration/ Advanced tab. Change the LR to 1 for dumb emulation.

JR

Each port is an ID (even in dumb RGB mode);  RGB is 3 channels 

BTW did you set the resolution to 1 in HU?

since you set ID to 07 (port 1), the rest get bumped

Are you setting the address (on the pixie) with DIP Switches, or via the Hardware Utility.

I don't have any experience in using the Pixie in 'dumb' mode, so I'm not sure what you would see. However if you give it the address of 20, and only *some* of the pixels light up (based on the programming shown above) then it's probably working correctly. You'd just need to get the programming in the Sequencer correct.

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

I was typing when JR posted. Ninja'd

Give me a couple hours, after I eat I will slow down. LOL

Happy Thanksgiving my friend

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would also advis you to check your pixel type and color order while in the HU/ Advanced section of the pixie controller. I also assumed you are using the cmb emulation selection within HU.

JR

Thank you all for the replies.  I have noticed when I set the unit through HU that it does not keep the dumb emulation setting.  I received a reply from someone on the facebook group with a link to a video showing to set the dip switch so I did that and set it to say the unit is ID 20.  Now I only get the first pixel of each string to light up.  What else am I missing?  In the Sequence 20 is also set to be dumb.  So is it set the logical resolution to 1 or am I way off?

I assume the sequence was for a CMB24. That has a single ID' Channels 1,2,3 are on Port 1

Using a  Pixie Each string is an ID and only 3 channels

You need to transpose 4,5,6 to 1,2,3 and the next ID 21  = Port 2 on the CMB

You need to transpose 7,8,9 to 1,2,3 and the next ID 22 = port 3 on the CMB

I show ID 20 having 3 channels, this repeats all the way down to ID 27.  I changed the Start Circuit to 1,2,3 for port 1, start circuit of 4,5,6 for port 2, start circuit of 7,8,9 for port 3 and so on.  Was that what you were referring to? 

I re-read what you wrote and changed it all back to the way it was which is 1,2,3 all the way through to 27

Edited by Donna

6 minutes ago, Donna said:

I show ID 20 having 3 channels, this repeats all the way down to ID 27.  I changed the Start Circuit to 1,2,3 for port 1, start circuit of 4,5,6 for port 2, start circuit of 7,8,9 for port 3 and so on.  Was that what you were referring to? 

I re-read what you wrote and changed it all back to the way it was which is 1,2,3 all the way through to 27

that should be correct to use as dumb nodes. R/G/B per row for 8 rows

JR

then I am still having issues because I am not getting anything other than the 1st pixel of each string.  I changed the logical resolution to 1 and no change with doing that either.

You have to many people involved. Between FB and forums you are spinning your wheels and getting separate answers. I just saw your FB post.

You would be better off reverting it back to factory.

Leaving it as a smart controller. Build your prop, if using it for a CMB emulation as having 1 pixel per port, if thats what you have. This will allow you to copy paste just as your sequence looks. The lights will act and look just like the sequence.

Reading between the two is making my head spin.

LOL Thank you!!  Yes I  have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off.. But I am desperate to get this working so I am willing to try anything.  I will go grab the ladder and do a factory reset and turn the 1 dip switch off.  Should this work if I set the Unit ID to 20, even though the sequence is calling for dumb pixels or do I need to change that?  Today is the only day in the next 4 days that I have to get this working.

Before I mess up the factory reset is that just powering the unit up with the reset button held down?

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

You have to many people involved. Between FB and forums you are spinning your wheels and getting separate answers. I just saw your FB post.

Yep. Since a lot of people here don't even see the FB group, (or use FB) then people here don't see what others are saying. 
It's probably best to stick to one or the other for a problem.

1 minute ago, Donna said:

LOL Thank you!!  Yes I  have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off.. But I am desperate to get this working so I am willing to try anything.  I will go grab the ladder and do a factory reset and turn the 1 dip switch off.  Should this work if I set the Unit ID to 20, even though the sequence is calling for dumb pixels or do I need to change that?  Today is the only day in the next 4 days that I have to get this working.

Before I mess up the factory reset is that just powering the unit up with the reset button held down?

No, you do not need a factory reset. Just put the controller back to the way it was before you started.

You are mentioning things on the FB page that is not included in this thread.

need to regroup, take a break, collect your thoughts and maybe add another paragraph here explaining exactly what you have and what you are wanting to do.

Or the FB group. I just happened to look on the FB group and saw that info but cant go back and forth without getting confused.

JR

Ok then the controller is set to unit ID of 20 (using the dip switches) with a HU setting of the logical resolution of 1.  The ports show 20 - 27 with a channel for each Red, Green and Blue on each ID.  I am only getting the first pixel of each string to light up.

Also the rest of the show works correctly, just this one box is not.  I am using a bought sequence for the TSO show.

Edited by Donna

1 minute ago, Donna said:

Ok then the controller is set to unit ID of 20 (using the dip switches) with a HU setting of the logical resolution of 1.  The ports show 20 - 27 with a channel for each Red, Green and Blue on each ID.  I am only getting the first pixel of each string to light up.

Do you have the pixel type correct?

Lately from the factory I have noticed they are coming preset with a UR pixel type or Reserved. That needs to change to WS2811 800 khtz

Edited by dibblejr