Light-O-Rama Forums

app wifi and pixcom16

Pioerpaolo

Sorry for the question, I found the app very effective, where you can try the various props standing outside by yourself, before you needed to be two or have strength in your legs with all the back and forth.....but if I'm not mistaken, the wifi connection doesn't bother pixcom16??? because what do you remind me of at the beginning, leaving it by mistake, I had to reset it every time, or did something change??? thank you

13 minuti fa, k6ccc ha detto:

Il modo in cui il tuo telefono è connesso alla tua rete non fa alcuna differenza.

scusa jim, ma se il pc che guida lo spettacolo deve avere il wifi spento, come uso l'app. scusa l'ignoranza. o sbaglio qualcosa???

questo quanto scritto nel manuale preso sul sito di LOR per PixCon16 (5.6.0 e inferiori).

In genere il controller è connesso a una rete di
computer/controller/ecc. sia attraverso uno switch o un router. È
comunque possibile collegare direttamente la porta Ethernet del PixCon16 alla
scheda di rete di un computer. Questo può essere utile se per qualche motivo la tua
configurazione di rete è cambiata o se stai riscontrando qualche altro problema con la
configurazione. Assicurarsi di disattivare qualsiasi altra connessione di rete, comprese
le connessioni wireless, quindi riavviare il computer.

something I can't find written in the PixCon16 manual (5.6.2 and above and non-LOR users)

Edited by Pioerpaolo

Here is what he said:

Sorry Jim, but if the PC that leads the show must have the wifi off, how do I use the app. excuse the ignorance. or am I doing something wrong??? this is what is written in the manual taken on the LOR website for PixCon16 (5.6.0 and lower). Typically, the controller is connected to a computer/controller/etc. either through a switch or router. It is however, you can directly connect the Ethernet port of the PixCon16 to the A computer's network adapter. This can be useful if for some reason your network configuration has changed or if you are experiencing some other problem with the configuration. Be sure to disable any other network connections, including wireless connections, and then restart the computer.

@Pioerpaolo, I believe the manual is trying to say if you are using a laptop connected to WiFi but at the SAME time you are connecting the PixConn16 to the laptop with a hardwire connection, it won't work because the WiFi connection will typically get preferred. Connecting the PixConn16 to your router would be a better route. At this point you could talk to the PixConn over WiFi with your laptop. However, I will caution using WiFi when running your show. I did it for a few years knowing I would have sporadic problems like the lights not always staying in sync. Most of the time it was ok, but when issues did occur, the show did not look good at all. I have since went to a hardwire connection for all computers/controllers in my show.

You *can* have the wifi and ethernet running on your laptop, but as Jeremiah was suggesting (and plenty of others who have tried the same) running your show over the wifi network is likely to be problematic; especially as your show grows.

If you are somewhat network literate, you can have the show computer on wifi to interact with the internet (and other regular computers around the house), and then have your ethernet port connect to a dedicated network for all of you show devices (I had previously done this, and it works well enough as the wifi link only needs to handle internet tasks such as updating the software or transferring sequences to it).

The easiest, but possibly more work (as you have to ensure a cat5 wire from the router to at least a central switch, but possibly each device), is to have your devices *and* your laptop connect directly to the network by ethernet cable, and run your show from there.

As for wifi connection to the phone, your phone is likely connected to your normal wifi network that will either communicate to the show computer via wifi (in the first case above), or through the regular ethernet network (as in the second case).