Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Suggestion for S6

dgrant

Since we have these wonderful tools in the show player and the APP that allow us to dim the entire show and also, lower the music volume, is it possible, in the case of the audio, to schedule audio levels to slowly decrease over the evening of a show? The idea is when it gets later, to prevent music from being too loud, automatically. The manual method works nice and thank you for that.

4 minutes ago, dgrant said:

Since we have these wonderful tools in the show player and the APP that allow us to dim the entire show and also, lower the music volume, is it possible, in the case of the audio, to schedule audio levels to slowly decrease over the evening of a show? The idea is when it gets later, to prevent music from being too loud, automatically. The manual method works nice and thank you for that.

Are you talking about audio to your yard speakers (which might make sense to keep your spouse / neighbors happy) or to your FM transmitter (which likely does not make sense)?  Realizing that LOR only has one sound output (the computer's default sound output), so there is no way to differentiate the different destinations within LOR.  Obviously if you only have an FM transmitter or only have yard speakers (or use your FM to get audio to yard receivers / amp / speakers), my question does not apply.  Personally I don't think it makes sense to drop the audio to the FM.  In most cases, viewers likely will already have to turn the volume up on their FM radios compared to their local music station.  Reducing the audio to the FM transmitter will only make this worse (and reduce audio quality a bit).

In my case (and I admit I am not normal), audio from the show computer goes into a audio console and is split into two paths.  One goes to my FM transmitter, and the other to a pair of stereo amps that drive the four speakers in the yard.  The two amps are on separately controller timers set so that one amp goes off at 8:00 PM and the other at 9:00 PM.  This quiets the yard a bit for the last hour before the second amp shuts off.

I totally forgot about the FM Transmitter, Yep, you are correct, bad idea. I must be either tired, getting old or both that I missed that.

Count me as someone who would really like this feature, and pretty much for the reasons that Jim suggests: the volume I might prefer at 6P won't likely be desirable at 9p (or later).  And as for the FM transmitter: either don't use that feature, or as Jim suggests: just go with it as folks will just turn up their radio in the car to a volume they desire (and will be independent of whatever is set by the show anyway).

FWIW, I've abandoned the use of an FM transmitter, as it has a way of creating undesirable traffic jams as folks stumble around their radio's trying to find the station, and resolve to just listen through a rolled down window; then they are just sitting in their running car in the street potentially impacting other visitors or local residents. Plus, over the last several years, most visitors are strolling by to enjoy the show instead of being drive-by viewers.  I would just as soon they park and get out of their cars.

However, I do live in a more moderate winter climate, so YMMV

Oh it would be so nice for people to walk by instead of drive by, but yeah, climate is a huge difference. Its quite frosty out here and simply just too cold to walk.

I flat out tell people that the best view is walking on the sidewalk, but VERY few people get out of their cars - and this is reasonably warm southern California.  I set the yard speakers so that it is usable on the sidewalk in front of my house, and not much farther away.  On the sidewalk across the street, you can hardly hear it.  On opening night this Friday, I do run it a little louder, but I will have around 50 people in the driveway and on the sidewalk.  For normal nights, I don't want to force my neighbors to hear the same songs over and over and over and over for a month and a half...

Here's one other item that I would like to suggest. In the CP, within the Show Player itself, the ability to Add Override Sequences and "Keep them there". As of right now, they disappear if you close the CP for any reason. The capability is in the Live Player and it saves those in a CUE file but no such thing for the Show Player. Yes, mine goes live Thursday night too. LOL, just hope it all works first time!

11 hours ago, randyf said:

FWIW, I've abandoned the use of an FM transmitter, as it has a way of creating undesirable traffic jams as folks stumble around their radio's trying to find the station, and resolve to just listen through a rolled down window; 

That's interesting.  Must be nice to be able to have people walk by.  Up here they would freeze if they even roll down the window, so I need to use a transmitter.  Of course, I had a sign on the lawn to tell them what station to tune, so didn't have issues.

46 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

That's interesting.  Must be nice to be able to have people walk by.  Up here they would freeze if they even roll down the window, so I need to use a transmitter.  Of course, I had a sign on the lawn to tell them what station to tune, so didn't have issues.

Definitely understand.

As my previous location was Northern CA, rain was the primary weather component, and then people didn't go out then.  The smaller neighborhood made it more practical for folks to walk, but some drove and parked to either sit in the car or stand on the sidewalk; and caused some level of interruption for viewers and neighbors.  It was when I decided to focus totally on the experience from the sidewalk.  Still had the drive-by's, but if they wanted to fully see it, they pretty much had to park and get out.

My current location is the Phoenix Metro area, and even rain is scarce in the winter.  And though it can get into the 40's (not to mention I now live in a gated community), folks prefer to take a walk and I have yet to see anyone really stop for any length to see the show.  But this is only my second Christmas here, my mileage might very too!

14 hours ago, dgrant said:

the ability to Add Override Sequences and "Keep them there". As of right now, they disappear if you close the CP for any reason.

I tried this out with 6.1.2 and the override sequences would load from their saved location. With 6.1.4 (and 6.1.6) it is no longer loading the overrides but changes do save out to the file in CommonData folder. In the 6.1.4 readme notes, the mobile app required 6.1.4 to do overrides, so a regression was likely introduced as part of that work. FYI @MattBrown.

3 hours ago, dgrant said:

At this moment, there's no 6.1.6 of course.

A public announcement was not made, but when back dating to older versions to check I saw it was on the website last night, https://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/6.1.6/help/whats_new.htm#6-1-6

I have 2 sets of speakers outside. The 2nd set is powered by a timer that turns off at 9:00 p.m., which then reduces the volume.

My suggestion for S6 is with the App.  Would be nice to run a sequence for testing.  I do that often from the street.   If it is already there somewhere and I overlooked it, then just slap me silly.

3 hours ago, Steven said:

I have 2 sets of speakers outside. The 2nd set is powered by a timer that turns off at 9:00 p.m., which then reduces the volume.

Interesting idea.  I do have that capability, I might have to give it a try (would prefer something as part of the app, though).