Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 with two 12vdc power supplies

Vince4xmas

I have several Pixie16 controllers using (2) 12vdc power supplies. One power supply feeds the first eight channels and the 2nd feeds the last eight channels.

I am having issues when pressing the test button on the Pixie16 with some of the props pixelating.

Do I need to install a jumper between the 2 negative connections on the 12vdc power supplies?

All my Pixie8s with one power supply run the test perfectly.

Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

One power supply feeds the first eight channels and the 2nd feeds the last eight channels.

Come on Vince, you've been around long enough to know that those are outputs or ports - NOT "channels".  Each port has many channels.

32 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

Do I need to install a jumper between the 2 negative connections on the 12vdc power supplies?

Can't tell for sure in the photo of the Pixie 16 in the manual, but it would appear that the two negative input are bussed together.  If that is the case, then it should not make any difference.  However, it can't hurt to tie the two negatives together at the power supplies.  Try it and let us know...

Off hand, I doubt that is your problem however.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

it would appear that the two negative input are bussed together.

They Are.... So already a common ground...

14 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Come on Vince, you've been around long enough to know that those are outputs or ports - NOT "channels".  Each port has many channels.

Can't tell for sure in the photo of the Pixie 16 in the manual, but it would appear that the two negative input are bussed together.  If that is the case, then it should not make any difference.  However, it can't hurt to tie the two negatives together at the power supplies.  Try it and let us know...

Off hand, I doubt that is your problem however.

Ever since building the very first pixie16 beta version I have always used 2 power supplies for 2 bank pixies. Each ground has always been jumped. Never a problem. If you have 2 power supplies and only one negative the bank not directly wired to the main psu is robbing power from the main psu to run. Needless to have 2 if each are not powering a bank and off one power cord you have to get power from some place.

I gave my friend a few things to do to see if they resolve his problem. I am confident that any one of those or combined will solve his problem. 

FWIW

JR

I have the incoming 120VAC power cord connected to ac inputs (L/N/G) on 12vdc power supply 1. I then have 3 jumpers from ac inputs from ps1 to ps2. I then have positive and negative from power supply1 out (12v) to the left bank on the Pixie16 and the same for power supply2 out (12v) to the right bank on the Pixie16. I also have the 12v negatives from each power supply jumpered.

Is this correct?

Vince

1 Power cord should not be an issue at this power level (but do check the connections are snug)

Is this the same (model) supply you used for the Pixie 8? What gauge of wire did you use on the DC side. (I would not use less than 12Ga for a bank of 8)

Have you measured the voltage at the END of each string (with typical lights on) ? 10.8 is absolutely rock bottom (-10% of 12v. which is why I set my supplies to 13.7V. More wiggle room)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Vince

1 Power cord should not be an issue at this power level (but do check the connections are snug)

Is this the same (model) supply you used for the Pixie 8? What gauge of wire did you use on the DC side. (I would not use less than 12Ga for a bank of 8)

Have you measured the voltage at the END of each string (with typical lights on) ? 10.8 is absolutely rock bottom (-10% of 12v. which is why I set my supplies to 13.7V. More wiggle room)

Spot on!

JR