Light-O-Rama Forums

Latest LOR 1 version

Mark Belgen

I can't find the latest LOR 1 version and Dan's link takes you to the LOR Support web page, but no LOR 1 software download.

I purchased LOR 1 in 2006, have the CD, and would like to stay with LOR 1 for now. Will upgrade to LOR 2 in Jan'09, but I can't find the location to download the latest LOR 1 version.

Very frustrating!;)

It doesn't work.

The Schedule Editor will not save the schedule so that the Control Panel can execute the show.

Thanks for the attempt though.

I am at my wits end with this as I have software operational problems every year and every year I get very slow support response from the people that actually wrote the software.

Also, the latest verson 1.6.9 is no where to be found on the LOR web site. This is totally unacceptable. Again, just like last year, I have families of kids coming by tonight and no show because I have another software issue again.

I literally have to build a dedicated, isolated PC with old code to run this show, otherwise, I end up with this situation again and again.

And I don't want to hear what a great guy Dan is. He may be a wonderful guy, but the support that this company provides is very poor and completely unacceptable for the dollars spent to purchase their products.

Failure to save the schedule can occur when upgrading because the standard locations for files have been changed at some point.

Stop all LOR apps and right-click the bulb and select "Unload Light-O-Rama". Then run this http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/LORRegistryWipe.exe to reset the registry. Then start the Control Panel. You may have to move your sequences and audio files if they are not in the standard locations.

RegistryWipe does not delete any files.

Yes, I get this every year where we talk about how great Dan is, but that is not the point. The problem is the LOR post sale support process.

The support documentation for the software is poor to non-existant. You literally have to live in this forum to understand who knows where to find the software revs and what works with what. That is not how it should work!:X The software support documentation should exist on line and it should be able to stand on it's own. I should know as I have a BSEE and am responsible for product quality (mfg, documenation, service, etc) at a major medical device manufacturer. Relying on non-qualified people to provide basic technical support is problematic. I relied on software installation advice from someone in this forum once, only to have to perform a clean install on my computer.

I understand that operating system software and hardware as well as the LOR hardware and software changes, that is the reason for good software documentation to support the user so that it is seamless and trouble free to install and upgrade. But something as simple as a link to the latest ver. 1.6.9 that Dan put up in the forum is actually in error. It takes you to ver. 1.6.1 which when you arrow over it, it says 1.6.9, but when you download it, it is actually 1.6.1. I am not the only one that is having problems with the lack of software documenation support.

There is also no compatability table telling you what software versions work with what and what doesn't. There is some information, but it is not established in an easily understandable format. Instead it is left up to a forum of users to provide basic software installation support when it should be provided by the LOR company itself. Take a look at the questions asked in this forum. They are mostly the same basic questions asked over and over again. This should not happen.

I am tired of talking about this, if LOR does not care to fix the software documentation support problem, then there is no point in me wasting my time talking about it. Only the people that live in this forum, literally, will have the insider knowledge to know what to do and hopefully the non-technical novice who needs some basic software installation support will get instructions from a qualified person and not damage his PC or LOR hardware.

Thanks John.

Your advice did help somewhat.:)

I spoke to one of our programmers here @ Johnson & Johnson and he said that your installation and upgrade programs do not clear necessary registry's and files. I don't completely understand it as I am a EE not a software programmer. Something about backward compatability.

He had me uninstall every single LOR installation through the Windows Control Panel (There were 4 LOR programs listed), reboot, install the full 1.6.3 version, the FTDI drivers, then the 1.6.9 upgrade version.

Now it works.:cool:

For 2009 I am going to build a dedicated PC, isolate it from the internet and install LOR2. This should prevent any future compatability issues.

I responded to your thread within 3 hrs of your post. This is a user supported forum, which means it is its members taking there own time to help others. I posted a link to the page where you can find the download and told you where to loo. Jeff, took it a step further and posted the exact download that would have executed from that link. Not sure what more you are asking unless you are expecting 24-7 service?

All the documentations are online as you were asking about. Just takes some time on your part to look to the left and click on Support.....

http://www.lightorama.com/support.html

Then if that isn't enough, Michael has some great tuts on lorsequences.com

There are plenty of resources to get help. I know you are frustrated and take a deep breath and relax and just keep telling yourself, it is all in fun of the Christmas season. Besides the long term return will be well worth it.

Mark is right in that there are problems with the installer used for LOR I. Vista's security further complicated matters by forcing us to move the folders in which we keep sequences, shows, schedules, ...

We addressed these problems by producing S2 and using a much better installer. There is a big "Download Upgrade" button for S2 on our home page. If you click it, you will be taken to a brochure page for the product that includes a decription of compatible operating systems and hardware. This page also points you to the upgrade page.

Most people do not encounter any problems with the upgrade, but the page details what to do if you have problems. The reason we still sell LOR I and then have people upgrade is simply because the distribution server for S2 has just been completed. This will allow us to distribute updates and problem fixes automatically.

We do hear you when it comes to software, but it takes time to produce products like S2 and then come up with mechanisms to simplify the distribution and maintenance.

Guest wbottomley

Mark... try working with high-end video editing software.

You would jump off of a cliff.

Support for it is in the forums only. Different operating systems, different codec's, and different hardware configurations.

LOR is much simplier than the video end.

Mark Belgen wrote:

Only the people that live in this forum, literally, will have the insider knowledge to know what to do and hopefully the non-technical novice who needs some basic software installation support will get instructions from a qualified person and not damage his PC or LOR hardware.

That is what a forum is created for. It is here to help those who need help. It is made up of a community of LOR users to help others out when they have a problem. You can choose to address your problem like many have done, or you can rant about how poor the service is. The people on this board do not have to come on here. They do come on here to donate there time to help those like yourself who need it. Dan and others trust for the most part the Community to resolve those issues within the community. If your issue extends beyond the help of the community you need to address that privately with Dan and those directly assoicated with LOR and not take your frustration out on him or any one person for what ever probablem you maybe be having that can not be solved here.

Regardless, in the end your problem will get solved and there are still some kinks and bugs to work out. It is just part of the growing pains that need to be understanded and kept in mind. Going on a tiriad isn't going to help matters any faster or solve anything.

Mark Belgen wrote:

The support documentation for the software is poor to non-existant. You literally have to live in this forum to understand who knows where to find the software revs and what works with what. That is not how it should work!:X

Is this what you are looking for? And as stated above, what can't be found on that page can be found in the Wiki....

http://www.lightorama.com/support.html

Easily found from the index page on the left titled Support. Not like it is hidden under a rock or password protected. Just takes some time on your part to look.

Mountainwxman wrote:

Mark... try working with high-end video editing software.

You would jump off of a cliff.

Support for it is in the forums only. Different operating systems, different codec's, and different hardware configurations.

LOR is much simplier than the video end.

Yeah, I know what you mean. That's why I switched to Final Cut Pro on a Mac Pro. A whole lot more compatible, but it costs a few bills.:(

I am a newbie with LOR this year, Just purchased a 16 channel Starter kit and the FM Transeiver, I purchased this yesterday morning about 9:30 Friday - At 10:15am I got a confirmation from UPS saying they have picked it up and it was on it's way and will be here Tuesday. ( Can't Wait )

I did alot of Research and really heard alot of good things about LOR, and if it is delivered on Tuesday, I'll be a happy camper! As far as I can tell they are on the up and up. All the people that are out there and set up spectacular shows using this system can't be wrong.:)

Merry Christams..

Just my 2 cents..