Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR multiple controller issue

joneschris903

Hello, 

I have been trying for weeks, and I need help. I am trying to connect two LOR controllers. I have had an 8-channel LOR for about two years, and I ventured off and got a 16-channel and made that my primary and still wanted to use the 8-channel for more lights.

What I have tried

I have connected both boxes separately and can test all channels when only one is hooked up through serial.

When I connect the central unit to my serial and the other LOR through the network jack, both boxes stop blinking but when I control channel one it controls channel one from the second box as well, it's almost like its clone. so I went and checked to make sure both units have separate IDs and they do the 16 LOR is ID 1 and the 8 channel LOR is ID.

I have tried just about everything, but i cant seem to figure this out.

• What version of the software are you using?
    • S5 and xlights
  • What is your license level?
    • standard
  • What hardware are you using?
    • LOR 8 CH Pro
    • LOR 16 CH
  • Are you using a Director or running the show from your computer?from computer
Edited by joneschris903
added more content

You need to connect them to each other. You should have a network adapter (black or red) connected to the computer. Run another network cable form the adapter to the first controller and then connect the first controller to the second controller using another network cable. You need to open up the controller cases and you will see where to connect them together. It does not matter which controller is first in line. If you have the black adapter with two output jack, you can connect each controller to an output jack, rather than to each other, depending on how and where you want the controller placed (and how much network cable you have!).

One other thing to consider...are you testing through the Hardware Utility? If you connect one at time, and use hardware utility and search the network button, it will tell you what controller it found and its UNIT ID. As I recall, there is a jumper on the 16 controller that makes it default to UNIT ID 01, even if you change it in the software.  It makes me think that maybe it's possible the 8 channel is doing the same thing and it may be defaulting to UNIT ID01 even though you changed it to a different ID. 

The controllers should be connected to each other using the RJ45 ports (there should be two in each controller, one for input and one for output - "daisy chained). One is connected to your computer or a show director and the 2nd controller connected to the other controller. 

When you say you connected the other LOR through the network jack, I hope you mean the network jack in the controller and not the ethernet jack on the computer. Unless you are using 3.31, that can damage your controller and/or your network card on your computer. If you are using the LOR protocol, you must use the network adapter (red or black) to connect your controllers. As stated before, only one controller has to be connected to the computer via the adapter, the other one is plugged in to one of the Cat5 connectors on the controller board. And it doesn't matter which two CAT 5 jacks on the controller you plug each of the CAT5/6 cables into. If your controller has the old phone jack, it is preferred NOT to use that one but you can. Make sure each controller is set to its own ID #. Assuming these are A/C controllers, one would be ID #1 and the other would be ID #2

9 hours ago, joneschris903 said:

I am trying to connect two LOR controllers. I have had an 8-channel LOR for about two years, and I ventured off and got a 16-channel

What controllers do you have?  I ask because there is no eight channel LOR controller.

Also, confirm your software license level.  Your forum profile says Pro, but your first post says Standard.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

What controllers do you have?  I ask because there is no eight channel LOR controller.

Also, confirm your software license level.  Your forum profile says Pro, but your first post says Standard.

LOR800W = 8 channels. Just FYI

JR

29 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

LOR800W = 8 channels. Just FYI

I stand corrected.  Forgot about that one...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

I stand corrected.  Forgot about that one...

No problem my friend. You gave me so much help along my way I just thought I could help you. You, Phil, Bob, Orville to name a few.

Always indebted to you all.

JR

Hello All, 

Sorry for the delay i was able to get them connected. The LOR800 had a dipswitch override preventing the channels to be set.

• Like 2

Does that mean I was right? QUICK! Somebody tell my wife!

Glad you got it working. Hopefully you'll never make that mistake again. It only took once for me to learn that little tidbit. And it was @dibblejr that set me straight, so I'm just paying it forward.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Glad you got it working. Hopefully you'll never make that mistake again. It only took once for me to learn that little tidbit. And it was @dibblejr that set me straight, so I'm just paying it forward.

Hey Wife!!! He was right! Probably needs a kiss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tlogan said:

Too funny. First time I have ever seen someone ask that before.

I did see a decal on a car the other day that said “ I do not need Google, my wife knows everything”.

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1