Light-O-Rama Forums

Channels 1-8 Not Working

chillaxin711

Hi All! I am struggling to figure out how to fix an issue we are having with our CTB16PCg3 Controller.  When we plugged the controller in for the first time yesterday since last December, we blue a GCFI circuit.  When we went to reset it only half the lights are working.  The music is playing and channels 9-16 are working.  I followed the instructions to reset the operation jumper by moving it over one pin to 5 & 6 then restarting the show on the 4 & 5 pin and it didn't work.  I then tried resetting again and unplugging all the lights from the channels except for the first channel and that didn't work either.  Then thinking maybe it was just the first channel, I tried unplugging the first channel and plugging in only the second channel and that didn't work either.  I am at a loss for what to try next to fix it.  

There is a Fuse at the bottom of each Bank (Side) - you most likely popped the fuse & blow the GFI due to a short...

There are two white fuses located at the left and
right bottom of the controller circuit board. The left
fuse protects channels 1-8. The right fuse protects
channel 9-16. The right fuse also supplies power to
the controller electronics. The fuses are 15 amp, fast
acting ceramic.

Edited by Jimehc

MAKE SURE TO UNPLUG THE CONTROLLER FROM BOTH POWER CORDS PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING TO REPLACE THE FUSE !

<shouting intended>

3 hours ago, chillaxin711 said:

ok thanks. will replace fuse and hopefully that will solve the problem!

Troubleshooting tip 💡

Unplug all strings  connected to 1-8 before you replace the fuse.

If that holds after powering up, 1 at a time, plug  in the strings. One of those was the issue

If the fuse blew without the loads, a TRIAC has shorted to the Heat sink (which is grounded). Seek qualified service (most commonly LOR)

Somewhat related: One CTB16PCg1 controller in my show tripped the GFCI when it rained. So this year, I switched it from 1 power cord (using the "Hot Jumper" and "Hot Input") to 2 separate power cords, each plugged into a different GFCI. The first time I plugged it in, I heard a "click" as the GFCI tripped. I was trying to figure out why it wasn't working andI realized that when I converted it from 1 power cord to 2, I forgot to remove the neutral jumper.

Removed the neutral jumper, reset the GFCI, and it's now working properly. We'll see what happens this year if it ever rains in California again.

• 4 weeks later...

I lost channels 1-8 as well because the fuse blew. Plugging in each cord one at a time will find the issue. In my case it was string/channel 6. The vampire plug had both teeth on the same side. Now I inspect every plug prior to making the cord. No longer assume they are manufactured correctly, even brand new from LOR.

IMG_20221109_130237750_HDR~2.jpg

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, dgander said:

The vampire plug had both teeth on the same side.

Wow!  Major fail !!!

8 hours ago, dgander said:

he vampire plug had both teeth on the same side. Now I inspect every plug prior to making the cord.

I agree, wow. I've not seen this at my house but yes, will forever be checking mine just in case. Thanks for posting that picture as its a great warning to ALL of us.