Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR-REP tech question

Light on Lynn

In the LOR-REP are pins one and two of the RJ-45 connectors are they used for anything? I do not see any board traces going to them.
Would there be any harm to jumper them from the input RJ-45 to the output RJ-45s?

I would like to use them for a low voltage low current trigger on a timer circuit that turns that turns on my outdoor speakers via a button that people on foot can press. It then starts a time that turns off the speakers after a pre-set. I have everything set up put the LOR-REP does not carry thru pins 1 & 2 from the input rj-45 to the output rj-45's

Pins 1 & 2 already pass through the card between the two RJ-45 connectors.  One of the uses for that is an alarm circuit to be able to trip an alarm if the network is disconnected.

TNX - OM

You are right, the output RJ-45 are connected together.  However, there is no continuity from pin 1 & 2 of the input RJ-45 to Pin 1 & 2 of the output RJ-45's in the LOR-REP at least on the one I have. I have it out of it's black box on the work bench right now.  I can not find any information on the web for it. no schematic for it.

I looked you up on QRZ.

Keith

KA8BSA

lor-rep.jpg

My first though was "What device is that?"  Then read what you said.  On controllers, 1 is connected to 1 and 2 is connected to 2...

I know about that with controller but, this little guy is my stumbling block. It is the Light-O-Rama LOR-REP.

The LOR network has always used only the 4 center pins. Most of their equipment passes pins 1,2,7,8 to the other jack, but some (apparently like the LOR-REP) doesn't. Since you have it open, it wouldn't hurt to install some small jumper wires.

I use pins 1-2 for my outdoor speakers. Since network cable has an impedance of several hundred ohms, and the resistance is high compared to speaker cables, I use transformers at the speakers to raise the impedance. Some speakers have built-in transformers. These are often called constant-voltage speaker systems.

Thanks Steven.

That is what I was planning to do. I was just wanting to make sure it would not effect the operation of the LOR-REP. I am planning to use pin 1 & 2 it as a trigger for the timer circuit that will turn on my amp that feeds the outside speakers. Just in-case someone on foot wants to hear the music, so that I will not need to be on all the time,

Keith