Light-O-Rama Forums

Should I Rewire My GE Color Effects Pixels?

Steven

I have 50 GE Color Effects pixel bulbs in 2 strings of 25. They are working in their current configuration, which I have had since 2012, but I'm worried.

My current setup is this;

LOR network (not enhanced) -> SanDevices ELOR -> SanDevices E6804 -> GE Color Effects.  It works, but the SanDevices ELOR hasn't been available for years, and I only have one. It has been working for 10 years, but if it fails, I have no replacement. Also, since it's on a non-enhanced LOR network, I can't use Motion Effects, and it's a pain to do each pixel manually.

My option to change is this:

Since I'm using e1.31 for my pixel tree, I'm thinking my best option would be to plug my e1.31 network into a switch, and connect the E6804 into the same switch. The disadvantage is that I would have yet another piece of hardware (the switch) in that section of the garage, with yet another power source needed. Fortunately, it's easy and cheap to get a 4-port switch.

What's your opinion? Should I take the more modern pixel approach, or stick with what has been working for 10 years?

I'm with Dennis on that one - move to E1.31 already.

How are your GECE lights holding up?  I have them on my roofline and eves, and perimeter string.  Total of almost 500 of them in service.

Thank you for your opinions. I have decided to do what you suggest and move them to my E1.31 network. I just purchased a 5-port switch, which I will set up next to my show computer in the garage. This actually has an additional advantage in that previously, there was a long Ethernet cable connecting from the Ethernet port on my show computer to the E682 which controls the pixel tree. In the (unlikely) event that there is a static discharge to the pixel tree due to lightning, or (more likely) if someone plugs it into a LOR box by mistake, this could potentially damage the Ethernet port in the show computer, which would be a pain to fix. Now, there will be a switch in between the outside Ethernet cable and the computer, potentially protecting the computer's Ethernet card.

Now the other issue is that I've also been using the SanDevices ELOR as if it were an iDMX1000 to drive 5 RGB DMX floods, 3 dumb DMX RGB ribbons, and an 8-RGB-channel mini tree. I started using it before I got the GECE lights because it was much less expensive than an iDMX1000, didn't have the XLR plugs that I'm not using anyway, and has more "smart" channels. I will continue to use it to drive my DMX network, but I'll need something else if it fails, and the iDMX1000 is not available.

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

How are your GECE lights holding up?

The GECE lights are doing fine, but they're only up during the lighting season (Oct - Jan). The white clips, however, are starting to disintegrate, so I use Velcro instead.

The first light on one string sometimes doesn't show the correct color, but I think that may be a problem with the E6804.

5 minutes ago, Steven said:

or (more likely) if someone plugs it into a LOR box by mistake

Use different color cable.  In my case, LOR network is purple Cat-5 cable, and E1.31 is green Cat-5 cable.  "Normal" home networks are blue Cat-5 cable, Internet is red Cat-6 cable, and VLAN trunks are Orange Cat-6 cable.  Other odd stuff (USB and video over cat-5 for example) are yellow cat-5.

10 minutes ago, Steven said:

The GECE lights are doing fine, but they're only up during the lighting season (Oct - Jan). The white clips, however, are starting to disintegrate,

I've had a few lights fail, but you have done better than I have with the clips.  When pulling them out of storage after one season, I had to replace at least 20%, and after two seasons, at least 50% of the clips are broken, or do so as soon as I do much more than look at them from a distance.  Maybe the 400 miles north is enough to make a difference.  When I first installed them, the L clips were painted and I think that helped some.  I gave up on the GE clips and bases.