Light-O-Rama Forums

What new songs are you adding to your show for 2022?

Sctiger

After having a Clark Griswold-esque meltdown late last season, I decided to forgo a display last year. I think the term "ruined my Christmas" and other terms not suitable for a public forum were hurled at me by my family. After a little break, I feel refreshed and ready for the season ahead. What song/songs are you adding this year that you're most excited about?   For me, it's "Christmastime is Here" by MercyMe and "We don't talk about Bruno" from the Encanto soundtrack.

Postscript: Since there's been much discussion about who or how sequences are shared, let's refrain from requesting the sequences in this thread at least. 

Hi Sctiger,

I'm looking forward to the one I'm working on now. I'm doing "Mary's Boy Child" by Boney M. My family and I love this version. Also looking forward to "Little Drummer Boy" by For King and Country. 😃

• Like 1

Hallelujah Chorus by Shadrack.  Pixel tree sequencing mostly from Brian Bruderer (I have to change to 26 x 100, and then add the rest of the yard).  Here's Brian's version that  started with:

• Like 2

That definitely is an attention grabber! I definitely could see the potential there. 

5 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Hallelujah Chorus by Shadrack.  Pixel tree sequencing mostly from Brian Bruderer (I have to change to 26 x 100, and then add the rest of the yard).  Here's Brian's version that  started with:

5 minutes ago, Sctiger said:

That definitely is an attention grabber! I definitely could see the potential there. 

I am happy with it so far...

I finally finished my sequence for Linus and Lucy this year.  But that's the only one I've gotten done.

• Like 1

Since in recent years I always try to incorporate a '70s song into my Halloween show, and given it is 50 years since ABBA formed (1972), I am hoping to add "Take a Chance On Me" (yes, we are all getting old).  For Christmas I am hoping to at least add "We Don't Talk About Bruno" (along with more lights and props).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hasslerk said:

Since in recent years I always try to incorporate a '70s song into my Halloween show, and given it is 50 years since ABBA formed (1972), I am hoping to add "Take a Chance On Me" (yes, we are all getting old). 

I'm not familiar with that one at first glance but there's no way I'm going to look it up and get it stuck in my head! 😂

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Sctiger said:

I'm not familiar with that one at first glance but there's no way I'm going to look it up and get it stuck in my head! 😂

I have Abba's "Take a Chance on me" on Vinyl....

5 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I have Abba's "Take a Chance on me" on Vinyl....

Haha! We were talking about vinyl the other day at work. One guy said his kid bought a player and a few albums and was disappointed.  To me there's just a warmth and nostalgia with vinyl that can't be reproduced digitally. 

Ah, vinyl. 

Clean record, anti static record, clean stylus.

Listen to clicks and pops for 20 minutes.

Repeat.

• Like 1

New ones for us this year are Holiday Road, Step into Christmas, Uptown Funk, and an edited version of Manheim Steamrollers Silent night.  Also have six new one-liners to sprinkle about the show.

I am working on Serena Ryder's Christmas song Calling To Say, Then Jewel's Christmas version of Hands, & then one more I Am Santa Claus by Bob Rivers.

Howbeit I may just go with a static display & stay static for a few years before packing it in.  Weather plays a big part in setting up. Could snow a lot in October & be cold. Or Late November & all of December can bring freezing rain & then the display stops working because all the connections (cat 5 couplers) get ice in them & freeze. Yes I need those couplers. So now you hope it warms up a bit (32 degrees) with sun & then all works good again. Oh then -40 hits & the smart pixels go weird. Doing all kinds of rapid flashing etc.

If I skip the mega tree this year & use just the 11 mini trees & go with my two pixel trees from last year & add the 32 x 50 Matrix & use the sequences I made over the past few years (as I never used the Matrix for a few years) then I might still go with a display. It would be an easier setup without adding that mega tree. The above songs are new for this season but we shall see.

2 minutes ago, lightzilla said:

Weather plays a big part in setting up. Could snow a lot in October & be cold. Or Late November & all of December can bring freezing rain & then the display stops working because all the connections (cat 5 couplers) get ice in them & freeze. Yes I need those couplers. So now you hope it warms up a bit (32 degrees) with sun & then all works good again. Oh then -40 hits & the smart pixels go weird. Doing all kinds of rapid flashing etc.

Yikes! And I thought that living in South Carolina and the leaves not finally starting to fall until the week of Thanksgiving was an issue!  I'll shut up now! 😂

I want to ask how many sequences do you all do for the Christmas season?  I might be doing it weird... I have 16+ songs + 6 parts of the Christmas story.  I was trying to break them up so that each night was different from the previous.  My show tends to be about 30 minutes long.  What i do is:

song, song, story telling, song, song different each night for 6 nights.  Is that too much work?  Is there a simpler way?  that is not so painstaking for me?  For example i added another 16 channels A/C so all my sequences need to be updated for not only the additional channels but a changed my preview and moved stuff around. 

so i will kinda have 16 half new sequences. 

I currently have 14 songs + several announcements.  I add another song or two every year or two.  I should have # 15 in the show this year.  I run BobO's MIIP so viewers can select which song to play next.  If no one is voting songs up or down, the show player just plays the songs and announcements in whatever order they happened to be based on the last song voting.  The only exception is opening night where I at least start with a specific sequence order.

I try to keep my shows to 30 minutes.  If I add a song, I remove another (which is always such a hard choice for me).  I do update the shows regularly during the season to "mix it up".  The show plays continuously, and staying at 30 minutes allows for a natural rotation of visitors.