Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware utility can't find fourth unit CTB16D

nutz4lights

This is my 3rd year with LOR using the same four controllers in the same order that I did last year. I have a CTB16D that has a flashing LED when powered on, but isn't detected in the Hardware Utility. Some background:

Using LOR 1
Hardware Utility is v1.6.6.
Unit 01 is a CTB16D ver 3.0
Unit 02 is a CTB16PC ver 4.02
Unit 03 is a CTB16PC ver 4.02
Unit 04 is a CTB16D ver 4.0

Let's see, I am using the serial adapter from my PC. I am using the same ~ 100' Cat5 cable from the serial adapter to the first unit, it worked last year. I am using short 10' Cat5 cables between 01 > 02 > 03, they are all mounted on one pole. I am then using another long Cat5 cable between Unit 03 up to Unit 04 on the roof.

I have tried two different long cables from 03 > 04 thinking that maybe the cable had gone bad. Did nothing. I tried the resetting of the unit (unplug COMM cable, unplug power, set switches to 0-0, power back on for ~ 10 seconds, power off, set switch to intended Unit ID, connect COMM cable, power back on) and that did nothing.

Anything else to try? Oh, I tried switching the Cat5 cable between the two ethernet ports as well and that did nothing.

What am I just not seeing here?

Thanks.... < 1 week to showtime and I've got a non-functioning crucial controller!

-Louie in Melbourne

Louie,

You never out right say what controller does not have the solid LED. I assuming by the write up it is unit 4.

What happens if you set that unit to a different address? Do you have MAX units in the HWU set high enough to search for 4 units?

As far as troubleshooting beyond that you could bring that unit down and put it right at the computer. That of course would eliminate potentially bad cables.

ONLY if your comfortable enought doing so....you could swap the comm chip U1 between a working controller and the non working controller. Only do this after you have tried the other steps I mentioned.

Chuck

Sorry, yes, it is the fourth unit, Unit 04 that has the blinking LED and that I can't communicate with. In the hardware utility, I have the max units set to 15. I haven't tried a different channel with Unit 04 yet, that will be tonight. I will post back. I'm also going to get it off the roof and bring it in to the PC. I didn't feel confident doing that last night in the dark up on the roof with my flashlight, but will do it tonight.

I would be comfortable with swapping chips. I work at a company that develops communications electronics and we have a bunch of static strap bench stations where I could do it the right way...

Will post in later tonight once I'm home. Thanks!

-Louie in Melbourne

Well, I have solved the problem. It turns out, the right-most RJ45 jack on Unit 03 appears to be dead, I can't get any signal to go out of it. I brought Unit 04 in off the roof to where the computer is and it worked just fine. I took it out near where Unit 03 was and plugged the output from Unit 02 into Unit 04 and it worked. I then plugged a short cable from Unit 03 into Unit 04 and sure as heck it didn't work.

I ended up running a phone cable from Unit 02 to Unit 03 to free up the working RJ45 jack on Unit 03 to run up to Unit 04 on the roof....

All is well and the lights are on for the first time this year! Yippeee!

-Louie in Melbourne

Or you could have changed the address and moved the box that has the dead port to the end of the chain.

Make note to self, get this fixed after the season so you don't do the same thing next year.

Now that you mention your situation. I remember a person last year that had the very same thing. Glad you have it all working.

Chuck

I've already contacted Dan & the crew to see if I can get this fixed after the season is done. Trust me, I won't forget this happened :)

-Louie in Melbourne

nutz4lights wrote:

Well, I have solved the problem. It turns out, the right-most RJ45 jack on Unit 03 appears to be dead, I can't get any signal to go out of it.

-Louie in Melbourne

This just happen to me this past weekend on one of my boxes, turned out to be a bent pin inside jack. Was stuck all the way down, making no contact to plug. Used a very small screw driver and pryed it back up into place, and now unit works fine.

It will be easier for me to check that after the season is done, not easy to get to Unit 03 to see inside the jack, can only barely reach it to plug and unplug.

Thanks for the info, I will check that after the season.

-Louie in Melbourne