Light-O-Rama Forums

Will I need to send my N4G4 MP3 Director to LOR for repair?

Orville

Tried to update my N4G4 MP3 Director to the latest firmware, N4MP3g4-V6-9.lhx  But Director when attempting to load came up with these issues:

#1. When using the MP3 tab to locate the Director it shows connected, but the time shows as ??? 73:85Pm with FW # as V254.250  it should have been the last firmware revision of N4MP3g4-V6-7.lhx.  As that was what was in it from the last FW update I did some time back.

#2. When I go to open the FW N4MP3g4-V6-9.lhx, it opens and is in the box, click download and I keep getting this problem: Invalid Datablock Response, it won't load the FW, it tried, and after this attempted FW update the entire digital screen is now blank and won't turn back on.  I've tried various known, good cat5 cables of assorted lengths, and the red LED won't go solid, it just blinks.

HU says to press a reset button on the Director Card, but there is NO RESET BUTTON that I can locate, I thought the hole next to  the RED LED would be a likely candidate for a reset button, but just seems to be an open hole for some reason, no reset button there.

So I can't reset it, can't get the display on and if I close the HU and then reopen and go to the MP3 Tab it starts stamping a popup block with Serial Event Error ~ Poll Type 51 ~ Overflow.

Any way to correct this?  Or will it have to be returned to LOR for repair?

I've tried everything I can think of and it's dead in its tracks, can't do anything with it at all now.   And I use this unit year round to run my handicap lighting, but now I can't even use it for that.   BTW: I get that same Poll 51 error if I click on the set time button to see if it would at least correct and fix the time, those Poll 51 popup boxes are never ending unless I unplug the cat5 cable from the USB485B adapter, then close over 100 of those popup boxes, as they just keep generating until I unplug the cat5 cable.

Been trying to get it to work for over 2 hours and haven't had any luck.

Hoping I'm just overlooking something, but I'm afraid this one may have to be sent to LOR for repair due to the time, display not working and can't update the Firmware in it with the issues I have with it now.

I have screen captures from the HU, but they are more than what I am seeing is allowed currently for the max size permitted.  Will see if I can shrink then and post them if possible.  Would upload them to my OneDrive account, but I've never been successful in getting anything from the MS OneDrive account to ever show up with nothing but a red X. 😟

Any advice on getting this working again would be very appreciated.

Edited by Orville
Correct typo's

Currently my N4-G4-MP3 is loaded as 6.7

But I question the labeling on my Mini-Director (which is loaded with G3 5.36 Firmware)

DSCF0044.JPG

Edited by Jimehc

1 hour ago, Jimehc said:

But I question the labeling on my Mini-Director (which is loaded with G3 5.36 Firmware)

DSCF0044.JPG

Whats the question? Its a Gen4 UMP3  in other words UMP3G4. This was Pre N4 directors and is still being sold. If you have questions you can always submit a HD ticket and I am sure one of the HD agents will gladly answer.

JR

3 hours ago, Orville said:

Tried to update my N4G4 MP3 Director to the latest firmware, N4MP3g4-V6-9.lhx  But Director when attempting to load came up with these issues:

#1. When using the MP3 tab to locate the Director it shows connected, but the time shows as ??? 73:85Pm with FW # as V254.250  it should have been the last firmware revision of N4MP3g4-V6-7.lhx.  As that was what was in it from the last FW update I did some time back.

#2. When I go to open the FW N4MP3g4-V6-9.lhx, it opens and is in the box, click download and I keep getting this problem: Invalid Datablock Response, it won't load the FW, it tried, and after this attempted FW update the entire digital screen is now blank and won't turn back on.  I've tried various known, good cat5 cables of assorted lengths, and the red LED won't go solid, it just blinks.

HU says to press a reset button on the Director Card, but there is NO RESET BUTTON that I can locate, I thought the hole next to  the RED LED would be a likely candidate for a reset button, but just seems to be an open hole for some reason, no reset button there.

So I can't reset it, can't get the display on and if I close the HU and then reopen and go to the MP3 Tab it starts stamping a popup block with Serial Event Error ~ Poll Type 51 ~ Overflow.

Any way to correct this?  Or will it have to be returned to LOR for repair?

I've tried everything I can think of and it's dead in its tracks, can't do anything with it at all now.   And I use this unit year round to run my handicap lighting, but now I can't even use it for that.   BTW: I get that same Poll 51 error if I click on the set time button to see if it would at least correct and fix the time, those Poll 51 popup boxes are never ending unless I unplug the cat5 cable from the USB485B adapter, then close over 100 of those popup boxes, as they just keep generating until I unplug the cat5 cable.

Been trying to get it to work for over 2 hours and haven't had any luck.

Hoping I'm just overlooking something, but I'm afraid this one may have to be sent to LOR for repair due to the time, display not working and can't update the Firmware in it with the issues I have with it now.

I have screen captures from the HU, but they are more than what I am seeing is allowed currently for the max size permitted.  Will see if I can shrink then and post them if possible.  Would upload them to my OneDrive account, but I've never been successful in getting anything from the MS OneDrive account to ever show up with nothing but a red X. 😟

Any advice on getting this working again would be very appreciated.

Orv, sounds as if you may need to get it replaced. You know LOR has great CS, youve been around a while. You may want to open a ticket to get it resolved.

Haven't seen you on much lately.

JR

9 hours ago, Jimehc said:

DSCF0044.JPG

6.7 is correct for the N4-G4, but the latest FW is 6.9, I just downloaded it today, Monday{06-13-2022} to update my N4-G4 from 6.7 to 6.9 directly from the LOR FW website, but after trying to update the FW, the N4-G4 lost its display and its ability to have the time set, tried to create an SD Card for it to see if it would work, play anytime show. Inserted it into the N4-G4, nothing, just a blinking RED LED, never would go solid when powered, tried the adapter and the adapter wouldn't even power it up at all.

As for the FW in your UMP3g4, that 5.36 FW is incorrect, that FW is for the uMP3g3, the uMP3g4 you have as shown in your photo, if the labelling is correct should be: N1uMP3g4 6.5 firmware.   So you might want to check with LOR before doing any firmware updates to your unit.  But if it is actually an uMP3g3, then that 5.36 is correct and is the most recent firmware for it.

Edited by Orville
Correct incorrect info with correct info on firmware.

8 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Orv, sounds as if you may need to get it replaced. You know LOR has great CS, youve been around a while. You may want to open a ticket to get it resolved.

Haven't seen you on much lately.

JR

Just sent in a Help Desk ticket.  As I think you're right.  I'm hoping it is still under warranty, otherwise it's going to become a paperweight for quite a long time before I can get it replaced or repaired.  Don't know why the FW is so messed up, it was 6.7 when I started, tried to load the 6.9 FW and the FW revision started showing as V254.250, where that came from is anyone's guess.   Tried to revert to the original oldest FW, but none of the FW files would work, all would just flake out and not load, giving me errors listed above in my original posting on it. :(

Yes, been a while, haven't been on the computer much since my eyesight has gotten a bit worse, but when I went to do some stuff today, like update FW and try and work on my sequences to update them for this year and the Director quit working on me, I just gave up on that.  My Wn10 computer quit working, so I never got to even try and work with S5 on it.  Have no idea what's wrong with the stupid thing.

At this point I'm so frustrated that I am about ready to call it quits with the light show and just go permanently dark outside.  Seems with the issues I keep having with controllers going bad from lightning strikes and now the new Pixie2 I bought not very long ago leaked water inside it from the port wires, and it keeps turning off the floods I was using on it to light my yard up, and they'd be on, then go off after about 30 minutes, come back on and go off, but never the same time, random times from off to back on and repeat, nothing wrong in the sequence as it was working perfectly until the inside got soaked and water was pooled in the bottom, surprised it didn't short out or blow the fuse in the plug, since the AC points on the PCB were wet as well,  lucky it didn't catch fire!  And perhaps that's what did in the Director, I have no idea, but it was working last night, didn't crash until I tried to update the FW in it.

With all the bad luck I've had with them, I don't even want to do anything outside any longer.  I'll probably just use everything inside and run it from my computer indoors.  Too much hassle to get cat5 cables outside, and I don't have enough adapters to do that for the RGB stuff I have, and i why I was using a Director in the first place.   So if it's out of warranty and is toast, I'm done decorating outside.  No more for me, I'm done with the exception of inside, and that'll be limited.

Well, I'm not feeling too spiffy at the moment, so I'm going to lie down for a bit.  Later.

My Mini-Director would appear to be a G3 (Based on loaded Firmware) but Model Numbered as a G4 (Sorry JR)

2 hours ago, Orville said:

Just sent in a Help Desk ticket.  As I think you're right.  I'm hoping it is still under warranty, otherwise it's going to become a paperweight for quite a long time before I can get it replaced or repaired.  Don't know why the FW is so messed up, it was 6.7 when I started, tried to load the 6.9 FW and the FW revision started showing as V254.250, where that came from is anyone's guess.   Tried to revert to the original oldest FW, but none of the FW files would work, all would just flake out and not load, giving me errors listed above in my original posting on it. :(

Yes, been a while, haven't been on the computer much since my eyesight has gotten a bit worse, but when I went to do some stuff today, like update FW and try and work on my sequences to update them for this year and the Director quit working on me, I just gave up on that.  My Wn10 computer quit working, so I never got to even try and work with S5 on it.  Have no idea what's wrong with the stupid thing.

At this point I'm so frustrated that I am about ready to call it quits with the light show and just go permanently dark outside.  Seems with the issues I keep having with controllers going bad from lightning strikes and now the new Pixie2 I bought not very long ago leaked water inside it from the port wires, and it keeps turning off the floods I was using on it to light my yard up, and they'd be on, then go off after about 30 minutes, come back on and go off, but never the same time, random times from off to back on and repeat, nothing wrong in the sequence as it was working perfectly until the inside got soaked and water was pooled in the bottom, surprised it didn't short out or blow the fuse in the plug, since the AC points on the PCB were wet as well,  lucky it didn't catch fire!  And perhaps that's what did in the Director, I have no idea, but it was working last night, didn't crash until I tried to update the FW in it.

With all the bad luck I've had with them, I don't even want to do anything outside any longer.  I'll probably just use everything inside and run it from my computer indoors.  Too much hassle to get cat5 cables outside, and I don't have enough adapters to do that for the RGB stuff I have, and i why I was using a Director in the first place.   So if it's out of warranty and is toast, I'm done decorating outside.  No more for me, I'm done with the exception of inside, and that'll be limited.

Well, I'm not feeling too spiffy at the moment, so I'm going to lie down for a bit.  Later.

If that pixie2 is new it may still be covered as well.

JR

45 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

If that pixie2 is new it may still be covered as well.

JR

It should be, I bought it on Nov. 10, 2021, so it's not even a year old yet.   So it should be under warranty.  Not sure about the N4-G4 MP3 Director, it may have been bought sometime in 2020, so probably not in warranty on it. *sigh*

Just an update on my N4-G4 Director and Pixie 2D {CCCII} Controller, BOTH will be going in for repair to LOR soon.  Will let everyone know how everything works out as soon as I get them back.

Just an update, got the return label Wednesday 06/22/2022, and both N4 and Pixie2D will be heading to LOR soon, Thursday 06/23/2022 it will be dropped off at a UPS location between 9am-9:30am.  Wife will be dropping it off for me there, she got a friend to take her, so it could be sent in as quickly as possible to LOR.

Will update when I know more of how things are going or went with them.  Stay tuned.