Light-O-Rama Forums

Storing LOR Controllers in a Texas Attic

Star Lord

To my Texas LOR forum members: do you store any of your LOR controllers in your attic…all year round until October/November?  I ran out of space for some of my controllers and need to store some up in my attic. Would the summer attic heat damage the controllers?

James

Houston Texas 

Edited by Star Lord

Not only do I have controllers stored in the attic, I have controllers located in the attic that are power and run lights year round for my landscape lighting show.  This is in southern California.

• Thanks 1

I know in Florida, we usually have automatic heat exhaust fans installed in our attics, they still get hot, but not as bad as those that don't have exhaust fans installed.  I wish my house had an attic, but it doesn't.  I have to store my controllers and display items in a spare bedroom.  I live in a manufactured home {glorified trailer that looks like a house, but It's nothing like a house in reality!}  And that spare bedroom sometimes gets upwards of 100-120 degrees Fahrenheit in there during the summer months, but it's never affected any of my controllers stored in there.

If you attic doesn't have any exhaust ports or a temp controlled exhaust fan, and you're concerned about the controllers being damaged, then I'd recommend installing one or have one installed professionally.  Set the temp you want it to come on at, say somewhere between 80-85 degrees, then when the attic temps start climbing and hit 81 or 86 degrees, the fan kicks on and starts exhausting any heat build up that's occurring in your attic.   It'll also help cut down extra heat in your home, andeven lower you electric bill a few bucks a month, as this also helps with the home A/C unit as well.   Just a suggestion and something to think about.

I would worry more about the PSU as it has big filter caps. If in doubt: check the spec sheet Storage Temp (un powered) section. I know  had placed a Amplified TV Antenna splitter in the attic (SF Bay area) and every day about 2-6 PM the signal would go to cr*p in the summer. Plastic items became brittle after a few years.  Fans work but the make noise (vibration) so be aware if sensitive. Wind Turbines are great (non-snow areas), get the thermostatic base to avoid winter bagging for attic heat retention .

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

I would worry more about the PSU as it has big filter caps. If in doubt: check the spec sheet Storage Temp (un powered) section. I know  had placed a Amplified TV Antenna splitter in the attic (SF Bay area) and every day about 2-6 PM the signal would go to cr*p in the summer. Plastic items became brittle after a few years.  Fans work but the make noise (vibration) so be aware if sensitive. Wind Turbines are great (non-snow areas), get the thermostatic base to avoid winter bagging for attic heat retention .

Our attic exhaust fans we had installed when we lived in a regular house made absolutely no noise at all, they were whisper quiet, but those do cost more.  But if noise {fan whine/vibration} is an issue, I'd get the type that are noiseless.  I'm not sure what they call them, but something like a coreless(?) fan?  Basically, it's just a gigantic sized computer style fan that is completely quiet.  my computer fans were all replaced years ago with this type and I get no real vibration or noise from them at all.  What little vibration I do get is so minimal, it's not even noticeable unless you place your hand on the computer enclosure.  Otherwise, I feel no vibration from it all.   And I know they make these same type exhaust fans for attics, mainly for folks that don't want the roar{noise} of a fan motor or the vibration a regular coil wound motor creates.