Light-O-Rama Forums

Coro LED Singing Faces vs LOR Pixel Singing Faces

Lightnewbie

I want to buy some singing faces. The Coro ones are cheaper but not pixels. The LOR ones are more expensive and use pixels. Does anyone have an opinion on which are better? My first instinct says cheaper ones. 

LOR ones are FULLY ready to go. They include a Pixie2 also  (I wish this was an option. Many sites use these in a cluster, so a Pixie4  or Pixie 8 in an enclosure make AC plug weather management easier. They already have the RTG Pixie controllers packaged)

I've used the HC coro trees with incan bulbs for about 8 years now. I have the set of 4 - 48" X 48" trees with 2 AC CTB16PC controllers to run them. They do require a little DIY to assemble but easy to set up for the most part. I also know there are a TON of sequences for the HC coro trees, the mouth movements are different between the LOR and HC trees. So keep that in mind as well that your song options may be limited unless you sequence them yourself. The thing 1 thing can say is make sure you have enough storage for them, they are big and weigh about 60 lbs each with the frame and lights. I installed big eye hooks to the tops of mine to hang on a wall when I had a inside place to store them. When we moved I lost a ton of storage so they sat outside for the last 2 years. Depending on your climate it's not good for the coro or bulbs, the coro will get brittle and the color on the bulbs will fade if they sit in any sun (UV) light.

I don't have any experience with the LOR singing trees, so can't help there. I'm not being bias on the LOR trees but sharing my experience with the HC trees. FWIW I don't buy from HC anymore, I choose to spend my money elsewhere.

My opinion.  The Holiday Coro look better.  Yes, you loose color changing, but with pixels, you have to space the pixels much farther apart and it does not look as good.  For example, the HC tree outline is 200 LEDs, whereas the pixel trees have no more than 200 pixels for the entire prop.

I have two of the Holiday Coro singing faces and love them.  I added 250 lights - two strings of 100 multi-color LEDs that crisscross the tree (looks like traditional lighting on a tree), and 50 for a pink bow that gets added when the singer is female.  About half my songs are instrumental, so singing faces would be of less value without something to do with them during instrumental pieces.  What gets done varies for each song.

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

@TheSignGuy Coro is light. Is most of the weight from the  frame? or the Lights?

Both, I did 2 extra 2x4's for horizontal bracing. So the 2x4 frame with 750 lights and the cross braces. I originally had my faces mounted to the roof of our garage, when the North wind blew it put a lot of pressure on the coro. It's only has 10 or 12 screws with 1" washers to hold the coro to the frame. With the lights installed, I pushed the horizontal braces (2 per tree) to touch the back of the light strings so they would not rip the coro. Maybe I over estimated that number a bit, they are not so easy to carry around the yard and it feels like 100lbs by the time I haul the forth one around to the front.

It's raining or I would attach an image if I did not explain it well enough.

Edited by TheSignGuy

I have almost every singer out except for BS.

Here is a video with just a few.

As you may be able to see, my favs are LOR Sing Quartet. 

All of my frames for all but my snowmen are AL. I have a good source and they pound together no welding required. Very reasonable shipping.

Any questions feel free to ask. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Note videos do not them justice. I have changed all but 2 of my 26 singers for two holidays to RGB. All I have left are my 5' snowmen but thats gonna be a while.

Here another video of my LOR singers a little better video quality.

I only have 2 of the LOR Trees {Zuzu and Ralphie}, and my only complaint is not having more than just a blink for the eyes, there is no eye movement options for looking up, down, left or right.  Other than that I think they look fairly decent.  And yes, hey are more expensive, but then they are PRE-ASSEMBLED, and I'd say "almost" RTG, but not really fully RTG until you build a frame or some sort of support system for them.

I looked at HC's incan/LED versions, but by the time I'd have to purchase light strands, controllers and all the other items required, seems to me, BOTH are pretty much in the same ballpark in the way of cost, except the HC singers you do all the assembly work, install lights, build frames, get a controller to operate them, etc.   By the time you figure in the costs, they actually about equal out.

Just from my examining each type and deciding which I wanted to go with when I wanted some singing characters.

BTW: You do have an option on how you set the sequencer up to operate the LOR Singing Trees, the easiest way is to use the *dumb* 8 channel option to control the mouth, eyes, outline and tree topper.  However, you could set them up to use the full 200 channels mode, where each RGB IS INDEPENDENTLY controlled, I did that when I first set mine up, but it's a nightmare to sequence using "smart mode", but if you want control of each bulb, then you could do this.  I had no idea how to set up *dumb mode* for the LOR trees, fortunately JR helped me get them set up that way.   Sure made it a LOT easier to sequence them in *dumb mode*.  Just letting you know, you can set the LOR Singers up in smart or dumb mode, it's YOUR choice.  And you'll NEED to reference the bulb chart that shows which bulbs are in each area for the tree, and then define the channel names to match them to the correct bulb position on the chart.  And that's a LOT of extra work that dumb mode eliminates.  But even in dumb mode you can have different colors for each section, outline could be green, eyes, blue, mouth red, topper yellow, just in dumb mode each section can vary in the same color along the sequence for that section only, just not each bulb can be controlled separately like in smart mode.  So if you wanted a multicolor bow{Zuzu} or star{Elden, Felix or Ralphie}, in dumb mode, that's not possible.

18 hours ago, k6ccc said:

About half my songs are instrumental, so singing faces would be of less value without something to do with them during instrumental pieces.  What gets done varies for each song.

And BTW: {@Jim/k6ccc}, I DO use my 2 LOR RGB Singers with INSTRUMENTAL versions of songs too.  Even if it may be to light up the outline only.  But I've used them in instrumentals with mouth movements {like they may be humming along with the sounds that define the words in  some instrumentals}, as well as their eyes and toppers.   Just takes a bit of "imagineering", as Disney calls it. LOL  And over half my songs ARE instrumentals too!  As an example, in one instrumental called "Eyes On The Prize" by Burnin' Vernon {Album CD: Rat Pack}, I have the trees  outlines lit dimly, eyes lit in closed position {dimmed} and mouth in closed, or smile position{dimmed}, topper may be on or off lit dimly, then when a HARD BEAT hits, eyes lit full on and open, outline full on, topper full on, and mouth full on in "Oh" position.   Looks like the trees are relaxing to the instrumental tune, until that HARD BEAT hits, then they look startled from their relaxed state. LOL  My neighbors thought that was so funny, and loved it.   If there's a will, there's always a way to use something in areas it may not have been specifically defined for.  Having a warped sense of humor really helps out here too. ROFL

Edited by Orville

15 minutes ago, coronabob said:

JR, I was wondering what you use for your mini trees on the lower right. Are they trees or luminaries or ?

They are 150 node 360 mini trees, Sometimes I sequence them as trees while other times I sequence them a stumps, volcanos. Just depends. Controlled by pixies.

BTW- I just figured it out, Redding, CA great to speak with you on the phone. Happy New Year

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I also have 4 of the holiday coro trees and I started out with icons in them and after a few years I put led's in them and like them very well.

Wayne

I should have posted this for a comparison - these are all Incan/ LED before I switched all but the snowmen to RGB