Light-O-Rama Forums

16 Channel controller version difference

MikeA

I have about 12 standard 16 channel controllers for sale from Version 1 to 5.  What is the difference in versions?  Everyone keeps asking and I don't have an answer.  They say they are told to only buy V3 and up.  Why?  My version 1 & 2's work fine with LED, fades and everything are fine.

Thank you for your help.

Mike

The older controllers won't work on enhanced LOR networks so they have to be on the slower network and therefore can't be on the same highspeed network that pixel controllers need.

For the same reason, they can't utilize motion effects and thus can't be incorporated into motion effect groups.

2 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

The older controllers won't work on enhanced LOR networks so they have to be on the slower network and therefore can't be on the same highspeed network that pixel controllers need.

For the same reason, they can't utilize motion effects and thus can't be incorporated into motion effect groups.

I have been  running an enhanced network for the last 3 years.

Edited by MikeA

5 hours ago, MikeA said:

I have about 12 standard 16 channel controllers for sale from Version 1 to 5.  What is the difference in versions?  Everyone keeps asking and I don't have an answer.  They say they are told to only buy V3 and up.  Why?  My version 1 & 2's work fine with LED, fades and everything are fine.

Thank you for your help.

Mike

It would actually depend on the Generation and not the Version. Gen 1 and 2 (if they are around) will not play well with Gen3 or on and enhanced Network. You can have different versions of the Generations.

Your best bet is to search for them in the HU and take a screen capture to post if selling.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

To make it more confusing, I always ask what firmware is loaded, it tells me without a doubt if it can be on an Enhanced network.   Personally I only want to use ones that can support Enhanced networks now. 

36 minutes ago, prevue12 said:

To make it more confusing, I always ask what firmware is loaded, it tells me without a doubt if it can be on an Enhanced network.   Personally I only want to use ones that can support Enhanced networks now. 

Description and FW are both on the same search bar. The only difference would be the batch of boards that were physically marked G2 but are actually G3. HU tells that story as well as the different led diode for the status indicator.

JR

2 hours ago, Don said:

If you have a controller with a red status light on an enhanced network, do let me know how you manged to get it to work.

So would I!  I have G1 V2 controllers {red led} and they have NEVER worked on an Enhanced Network, I accidentally missed that once on a set of sequences I was setting up for a show, when enhanced was checked for the "Regular Network", they just acted like they didn't exist.  Use the HU to create my shows in S4, but I do use the Hub to see where I may have goofed something up sometimes   So if the OP's is working on an enhanced network, and they are G1 {V1, or V2 boards with Red LEDs}, I'd definitely like to know how, or why, they would be working, as mine have never worked in enhanced mode, not even with the latest FW I have installed for those controllers, they would not work.

So I'd like to know what secret the OP found that allows older CTB16PC controllers to function using the enhanced network for those older, original CTB16PC units. {But I don't think they are really using an enhanced network for those older units.}