Light-O-Rama Forums

Some channels flickering

headlight

I have 3 AC controllers ( CTB16PCg3) and 1 Pixie16 being controlled by a Mini Director ( uMP3g3)

Occasionally I have a few AC channels that will start to flicker or behave erratically. Usually they will just be stuck flickering, but I've also seen them go through their programming, just with a flicker effect on top of a fade. It seems to happen on the same few channels. 3 on one unit and 3 on another. If I kill power to the director and bring it back on the problem goes away for a while.

I can't really tell if it's my controllers or my mp3 director that's causing the issue, but I figured I'd see if anyone else has come across this.

1 hour ago, headlight said:

I have 3 AC controllers ( CTB16PCg3) and 1 Pixie16 being controlled by a Mini Director ( uMP3g3)

Occasionally I have a few AC channels that will start to flicker or behave erratically. Usually they will just be stuck flickering, but I've also seen them go through their programming, just with a flicker effect on top of a fade. It seems to happen on the same few channels. 3 on one unit and 3 on another. If I kill power to the director and bring it back on the problem goes away for a while.

I can't really tell if it's my controllers or my mp3 director that's causing the issue, but I figured I'd see if anyone else has come across this.

What speed is your network set at?

JR

On 12/23/2021 at 11:53 PM, k6ccc said:

How many pixels is the Pixie controlling?

750 pixels, 7 channels 50 nodes per string, 4 of the channels have 100 on a string. But the pixels are behaving normally, it's only the A/C channels (and typically the same ones) that occasionally start to flicker.

-Peter

18 minutes ago, headlight said:

750 pixels, 7 channels 50 nodes per string, 4 of the channels have 100 on a string. But the pixels are behaving normally, it's only the A/C channels (and typically the same ones) that occasionally start to flicker.

-Peter

Are you sure all of your AC controllers are G3?

JR

1 hour ago, headlight said:

750 pixels, 7 channels 50 nodes per string, 4 of the channels have 100 on a string.

Just a terminology note.  On a pixel controller it's not 7 channels and 4 channels.  It's outputs or ports on the controller.  Each port is controlling many channels.

As for your flickering lights, I'm largely agreeing with JR.  Something else comes to mind.  Since you said it it typically the same channels (yes, on a AC controller each output is one channel), it is all lights on one controller, and second, if you watch a sequence, does the flickering show up at exactly the same place in any given sequence?  For example, when watching "Jingle Bells" does the flickering always show up at 1:27.  If that is the case, it is very likely in the sequence.

Somewhat potentially related.  What unit IDs are the three AC controllers and the Pixie?

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Are you sure all of your AC controllers are G3?

JR

Yes, they are all G3, v5 specifically the oldest one is from 2016 and the other one that is doing the same thing is from 2017.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Just a terminology note.  On a pixel controller it's not 7 channels and 4 channels.  It's outputs or ports on the controller.  Each port is controlling many channels.

As for your flickering lights, I'm largely agreeing with JR.  Something else comes to mind.  Since you said it it typically the same channels (yes, on a AC controller each output is one channel), it is all lights on one controller, and second, if you watch a sequence, does the flickering show up at exactly the same place in any given sequence?  For example, when watching "Jingle Bells" does the flickering always show up at 1:27.  If that is the case, it is very likely in the sequence.

Somewhat potentially related.  What unit IDs are the three AC controllers and the Pixie?

Thanks for the clarification on the terminology, wasn't quite sure how to refer to the outputs on the Pixie.

No, it doesn't always happen at the same time or in the same song. Once the flickering happens, it generally keeps going for a while. I have even seen it resolve itself. But typically I turn of the miniDirector and when it comes back on the, flickering stops. It's not consistent when it happens. I had the show running all day yesterday for Christmas Day and it didn't happen at all.

What is really strange is that while usually the channels maintain the 100% flicker (I guess technically it looks like the 'shimmer' effect) others will flicker with the fading of the channel.

A/C Controllers are Unit ID 01, 02 and 03. The Pixie starts at 10.

I haven't notice the issue on Controller 03, but I that one also has the least amount of props plugged into it.

-Peter

I get flickering when I plug many controllers into one extenstion cord, when I limit to three or four my flickers when away. (I use all LEDs so not worried about amperage issues) 

Flickering can be cause by a faulty string of lights, extension cord, adapter or cat5/6 cable or possibly interference if running data and power cables alongside each other. All of my data and power are run so that the only reason they would be close is if they need to cross. Otherwise they are ran inside 3" pvc conduit separately

JR

• 3 weeks later...

I have had simliar flickering issues before and iI have had  multicolored M5 led strings going bad. Replaced with new strings that I keep as spares and good to go.  Verified bad string by bypassing controller. As stated already. Keep your cat 5 cables away from high voltage and also maintain your hot and  neutral polarity if possible.