Light-O-Rama Forums

Firmware Update not working

Vince LeGrand

I'm getting my LOR stuff set up and will be using some LED lights this year. All of my controllers are at least 2 years old, so I believe I have to update their firmware.

I'm using the Easy Light Linker and have tried to do a firmware update. I select the firmware file and then click on download. I immediately get the message that the update is starting and that it is "grabbing controller." I let it sit like that for over 10 minutes and nothing happened. There was never any progress shown. Considering it's only about a 20k file, I don't think it should take very long to apply (even over a wireless connection). I've looked through the manual and could not find anything saying you can't do firmware updates wirelessly. So, I'm kind of stuck.

Any suggestions?

To do a firmware update on a controller it is best to connect just that controller to the computer and do the update. Do not try to update a controller over the network with light linkers.

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck.

I already had the first 2 controllers installed outside, but following your advice did the trick. Fortunately, the controllers were within reach of one of my 100 foot Cat5 cables. Those controllers are now updated and back to communicating through the ELL's.

I'll be sure to upgrade the rest of my controllers before I put them outside. :(

I think I'll suggest that the Hardware Utility include a warning not to do a Firmware upgrade if the controller is connected through ELL.

Vince,

This very issue was brought up on the forums not long ago.

Dan chimed in and said that using the linkers would not work. It was suggested at that time that some kind of warning be installed in the HWU.

Chuck

Chuck,

Before I made my original post, I did a search through the forums with the keywords "firmware" and "wireless" and didn't find any posts that talked about firmware upgrades using the wireless ELL's.

Sorry about repeating the topic.