Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR1602MP3g3 screen doesn't come on - just flickers one strand when flipping power switch

crobs808

When I turn on the unit (power switch) it just flickers one or two of my channels briefly, then everything stays off. I have both 12V power plugs cords plugged in, but still nothing. The director screen was on and showing earlier today, and we haven't had any rain/water or anything since then, but now the screen won't turn on. What could have happened?

We are going to try replacing the 2x 15A ceramic fuses, but all of our strands are LED so I don't think high amperage would have been present or blown anything out. Any thoughts? Wife worked really hard one making new sequences this year and I'd hate for her efforts to not be on display. Really wanna brag about her to the neighbors ;)

3 hours ago, crobs808 said:

12V power plugs cords plugged in

I'm hoping you mean 120V AC power cords.

I know there is another fuse on there, but it requires taking the cover off the controller to get to it. It's a smaller fuse somewhere on the inside that controls the 'logic' of the board.
If you don't get it up and running, I have some spares that I could get to you. They are older generation 16 channel boxes, and but they should work just the same.

yes, 120, sorry. 

So, when I unscrewed the plate and opened the case up, the display on the Director came on! That made me think there was something shorting the board, a piece of metal or something. However, when I did a power cycle (off then on again) to see if it would keep working, it did NOT come back on and hasn't come on since. This feels very intermittent and I am unsure how to get it to come on and stay on reliably. All the cables seems firmly connected, and this unit is only 1year old. Everything is super clean, no water/moisture damage.

Picture below in case it helps...(FYI - That 20pin ribbon cable is the only connector from the main board to the Director)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T7CT8qJP2T4pOLlEijrPiqat6f_dLllf/view?usp=sharing

Check that fuse next to the main processor in the middle. If you can check continuity, at least see if it's still working or if it's blown.

Video linked below. Replaced ribbon cable and put a fuse on the left side of the board which was not there before. Screen turned on, displayed "init" then scrolled through several codes, then did what is shown in video for about half an hour (flashing between p--1 and 1238, lights blipped one at a time, then multiple and longer).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rm954wpovcGAmNad7

It was almost like it was testing? After waiting for quite a while hoping that the cycle would "finish", I tried to reset by holding down the up and down keys as listed in the manual. Screen and lights kept flashing as shown. Tried turning off and on, but screen did not come back on, even though some strands do flash intermittently. Not sure what else to try?

Yes, we removed the extra fuse. The glass fuse seems intact visually. No break in the wire or burn mark. We will snag one of those next.