Light-O-Rama Forums

channels 1-8 are erratic, 9-16 work fine?

medman2000

Hello - we have created a display for the first time where I work, including a megatree with 48 channels - 3 LOR1602W controllers. During each of 4 sequenced songs, channels 1-8 on only one of the controllers is erratic. The lights will stay on too long, or fade at a weird rate, or turn off early. The other 8 channels on this controller work exactly as programmed.

I've confirmed that each unit ID/channel is assigned only once, and I've also confirmed the same erratic behavior in hardware utility (fading all 16 channels, 1-8 do weird things, while 9-16 fade perfectly, etc.)

We had an electrician install 48 outlets at the base of the tree, and then run the wire from these outlets to a large hidden enclosure holding the 4 controllers. And I'm not an electrician, so have no idea if he messed something up causing this behavior, or if it is something on the LOR board itself that might be damaged? In the manual I found this - not sure if it could be related (nor do I even know what it means):

[align=left]3-Phase Power[/align]
[align=left]Both power cords of an LOR1602W must be[/align]
[align=left]plugged into the same phase in commercial 3-[/align]
[align=left]phase environments. If they are not, channels 1-8[/align]
[align=left]will not be flashing in sync with the Show Director[/align]
or PC.

Any thoughts or suggestions? We have a lighting ceremony for the community Friday, getting stressed.

Thanks!

In commercial environments 3 phase power is often used. The controller uses the right power cord to sense the ac waveform. In a 3 phase environment the potential exists to plug the left power cord into a different phase which will cause the behavior you are seeing. Ask your electician to be sure that both power cords from a controller are plugged into the same phase.

If you have someone in your business that knows how to use a meter. ON the offending controller if you check both of the AC Hot input terminals. If the meter reads zero then both sides of the controller are on the same phase. If the meter read 208 then the inputs on opposite phases and one of them needs to be relocated to a different breaker in the panel.

If the value is 240, then it is likely that you do not have 3 phase power in your business.

Chuck

If you are in a home environment, you are very unlikely to have 3-phase power. If you want to eliminate that as a possible source, just use a pigtail or power strip and plug both cords into the same strip or pigtail.

cmoore60 wrote:

Richard,
He mentioned this is a setup at the place where he works.
Chuck

Thanks chuck. I overlooked that. My statement still applies. Try a pigtail or power strip and plug both cords into same one. Measure line voltage to be sure all is well since these are new plugs.