Light-O-Rama Forums

Rain

Lightnewbie

Hi all, 

I just had a good rain and my controller is fine. I also enclosed my FM transmitter and director. So those we protected and dry. What did get wet was my cat5 cables. I have a connector that extends one cat5 cable with another. If a cat5 cable get wets can it cause any damage to my controller?  

21 minutes ago, Lightnewbie said:

Hi all, 

I just had a good rain and my controller is fine. I also enclosed my FM transmitter and director. So those we protected and dry. What did get wet was my cat5 cables. I have a connector that extends one cat5 cable with another. If a cat5 cable get wets can it cause any damage to my controller?  

Not unless the connector comes in contact with other voltages while wet.  WD40 those WET contacts NOW to prevent corrosion

Edited by TheDucks

4 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Not unless the connector comes in contact with other voltages while wet.  WD40 those WET contacts NOW to prevent corrosion

How do I know if the connector comes into contact with voltages? 

Just now, Lightnewbie said:

How do I know if the connector comes into contact with voltages? 

Do you smell smoke? 🙃

The reason could be there was an extension cord end in the same puddle and the GFCI did not trip (fast enough).

Seriously, there is no good way to know (other than smoke) about what happened  in the past.

Water conducts. Voltage seeks the lowest resistance path. The most expensive item is usually the way it finds.

Old Technicians adage.    The $20 semiconductor just blew to save the 10cent fuse

1 hour ago, Lightnewbie said:

Hi all, 

I try to keep my cat 5 cables clear of extension cords. I use 3/4" ID black tubing to run the cat 5 cable into. I snows a lot & I need to shovel snow from my front deck where most of the main action is. I also put outdoor rugs on some cables because I check my cat 5 cable connectors from time to time and I don't want to trip & break a cable. Some of my cables stay buried under snow at least until I get a chance to remover the snow. All controllers work fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lightnewbie said:

Hi all, 

Use waterproof CAT5 couplers.  Cheap enough on Amazon.   I use them for items like my RGB Flood that has two pigtails coming out.  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P4T4X2H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lightnewbie said:

I have a connector that extends one cat5 cable with another.

Suggestion for future.  Put a stake in the ground (wooden stake, piece of rebar, whatever is convenient).  Zip tie the connector junction to the stake, then cut the top off a 2 liter soda bottle and use that upside down to cover the stake and connector.  Quick and easy way to keep it dry.  If you get a lot of wind, punch a hole in the now open end of the soda bottle and run a zip tie through the hole and around the stake so the bottle can't blow off.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:03 AM, k6ccc said:

Suggestion for future.  Put a stake in the ground (wooden stake, piece of rebar, whatever is convenient).  Zip tie the connector junction to the stake, then cut the top off a 2 liter soda bottle and use that upside down to cover the stake and connector.  Quick and easy way to keep it dry.  If you get a lot of wind, punch a hole in the now open end of the soda bottle and run a zip tie through the hole and around the stake so the bottle can't blow off.

Something non-conductive would be very much advised rather than rebar.