Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 8 w\800 Pixels Brightness Issue

Scott011422

I have some real AC numbers for idle (off or no lights) which is why I built some relay modules to power down some units (spread out among many GFCI/Branch circuits) because the show runs for less than 1/4 of a day (and CA electricity is $.30+ a KWH). I used a Killawatt to measure

2 CMB24 box (30A PSU per board)+ a pixie4 (shares  1 PSU)  idles at 26W (232 smart nodes)

2 CMB24 + Pixie4 with 232 nodes  1 color driven was 40.7W

I rarely spend any time full white. Other colors are mixes of RGB (somewhere between 1 color and under full white at 100%)

Got a chance today to do some testing. See below

Mean Well LRS-350-12 Power Supply

LOR Pixie 8 Controller

Testing done on Port 1 only

12v WS2811 Pixels. 100 Pixels

All done at 100% brightness

No power Injection. All thru the board.

Amps check by removing Port 1 fuse and placing Fluke Meter in amp mode in place of fuse

IDLE          .201        .00201 A PER PIXEL

RED         1.036       .01036 A PER PIXEL

GREEN    1.034       .01034 A PER PIXEL

BLUE       1.027       .01027 A PER PIXEL

PURPLE   1.734       .01734 A PER PIXEL

TEAL        1.735       .01735 A PER PIXEL

WHITE     2.392       .02392 A PER PIXEL

Still haven't heard back from RBGMAN on Pixel specs. But from what I can tell, They should be standard resistor based pixels.

DOES ANYONE ELSE USE RGBMAN 12V PIXELS? REGUARDLESS OF CONTROLLER COULD YOU SEE WHAT YOUR LOADING IS?

Edited by Scott011422

I run 350 watt meanwells on all my pixie 8s and there is more than enough power.  LOR sells their pixie8 package that is set up for 800 pixels using a 320 watt meanwell.  

The pixie 16s use a 500 watt power supply which again is more than enough.  Anything more is a waste on money and the price difference between 350s and 500s significant.

Edited by bbig

7 hours ago, bbig said:

I run 350 watt meanwells on all my pixie 8s and there is more than enough power.  LOR sells their pixie8 package that is set up for 800 pixels using a 320 watt meanwell.  

The pixie 16s use a 500 watt power supply which again is more than enough.  Anything more is a waste on money and the price difference between 350s and 500s significant.

LOR sells low power pixels in their packages so the power supplies are adequate. However, if you purchase standard power pixels from China or off Amazon or someplace then those power supplies will not be near enough.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is information everyone knows, but its new to me and answers all my power questions.

Not really a huge factor, but I was always made to believe that regulated pixels were something new we were switching over to. Now I'm finding out that regulated pixels are the original pixels and we are switching over to resistor pixels. (Doesn't effect my problem, More my mindset)

One reason is cost. the Resistor power circuit is cheaper to manufacture than the regulator circuit. Hence the higher cost per string for the regulated pixels.

The second thing is they are much more efficient in their power usage. Often using as little as half the current required for the regulated pixel. The average current draw for the Resistive Pixels is .01A per color with an average of .027A per pixel at 100%. Knowing this, I'm right where I should be.

So to cap off:

Regulated Pixels (Old Style)

.02A Per Color

.06A Per Pixel, White @100%

Resistor Pixels (New Style)

.01A Per Color

.027A Per Pixel, White @100%

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Scott