Light-O-Rama Forums

ELL Users ?

dibblejr

1.   If you use ELL's have do you know if an ELL can get its power from an RGB pixel controller? I am assuming you can but want to ask for a friend.

2.  If you have an ELL have you ever used it by accident or otherwise to com with an LOR singing tree or pixie2 while sequencing in S5 and Playback view?

I ask this because my friend did not know he could not connect pixels in an ELL setup. He has one LOR Singing face pixie2 in his setup. Talked to him yesterday because it will com to all controllers through the playback window and works the physical props however creating a show through the hub playing from his computer, does not work. I tried everything and it would never play through Show Editor / Schedule or Show on Demand.

Its a little perplexing since i have not known RGB props running through the ELLS due to the network speed limitations of the ELLs and the speed requirements of the Pixie controller.

Thank you in advance for any insight. 

JR

Depending on the version, v4 needs 9vdc and v5 needs 5vdc. Under the bottom there are three led status lights when power is applied. As far as working with pixels, If you can get the pixels to work at 115k speed or lower then it is possible I guess, never used the ELLs on pixels.

I can only answer the first question.  I use an ELL with a Pixie4 (PIXIE4D - V3).  The ELL is powered by the board.  The Pixie4 is on my Regular network running at the original, default speed.  I have no idea if the newer models would power an ELL.  You should be able to tell if the ELL is powered by opening the case and seeing if the LEDs are lit. 

Now the reason why I chose this.  I only use the Pixie4 to light six RGB bulbs.  There is very little RGB network traffic for it to handle so it works just fine.  I would consider running a single singing face using an ELL but not much more.  I would definitely bump up the transmission speed to do so.

• Like 1

Second Gen Pixies have JP2 that applies Aux (9v)power to the CAT5. It is right under the RJ45 (can be hard to see unless you are looking from below)

9V will not HURT a V5

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, basis21b said:

I can only answer the first question.  I use an ELL with a Pixie4 (PIXIE4D - V3).  The ELL is powered by the board.  The Pixie4 is on my Regular network running at the original, default speed.  I have no idea if the newer models would power an ELL.  You should be able to tell if the ELL is powered by opening the case and seeing if the LEDs are lit. 

Now the reason why I chose this.  I only use the Pixie4 to light six RGB bulbs.  There is very little RGB network traffic for it to handle so it works just fine.  I would consider running a single singing face using an ELL but not much more.  I would definitely bump up the transmission speed to do so.

This is the answer i was hoping for. As he awaits his adapter he can rearrange his show so the pixie2 is the first controller.

Thank you

JR

36 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Depending on the version, v4 needs 9vdc and v5 needs 5vdc. Under the bottom there are three led status lights when power is applied. As far as working with pixels, If you can get the pixels to work at 115k speed or lower then it is possible I guess, never used the ELLs on pixels.

Yup, his ELL us V5. The first thing I looked at befor I told him he should be able to get power. Now his problem, lost the jumper needed to place on JP2

JR

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Second Gen Pixies have JP2 that applies Aux (9v)power to the CAT5. It is right under the RJ45 (can be hard to see unless you are looking from below)

9V will not HURT a V5

LOL

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yup, his ELL us V5. The first thing I looked at befor I told him he should be able to get power. Now his problem, lost the jumper needed to place on JP2

JR

LOL

steal on off one of the other controllers. Like JP5 😛

41 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I never used the ELLs I purchased and sold. Sounds interesting to at least test someday for some singing faces across the street for the awe affect.

JR

2 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

steal on off one of the other controllers. Like JP5 😛

He only has 1 ctb16G3, 1 cmb24 and the pixie2. Probably why his works. Not heavily loaded. But we have no spare jumper anywhere. I did tell him if he had an old computer he could find one. He is a Marine so he will either be able to find one or doesnt know what they are- no middle ground LOL

JR

14 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Put a paper clip over the two pins.

Or wrap some small wire around the two pins.

If I could do this myself I would but not sure if I would trust my friend, however it is low voltage controller and it should work. I will see how he is tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip my friend

JR