Light-O-Rama Forums

Only a few pixels working

Zbabbs

Hey everyone new to this, I bought the show director starter pack. I also added the flood light pack, pixel tree pack and a Pixie16 with a ton of the 50 strand rgb pixels lights. I bought two SD cards as it’s too late in the game to design a full show this year. 

everything is working, flood lights are great, pixel tree works perfect, and all the lights I have plugged in to the show director AC controller work great. 

the problem I’m having is with the Pixie16 controller, only a few pixels on a few strands are working, when I do the test in the controller box they all chase correctly but when I stop the test and it goes back into the sequencing, only a few pixels work. 

would love some guidance to get all my pixels working. 

thank you 

There's several areas to check. First is insuring the "Preview" is configured correctly to the Network Preferences. Next is insuring the Network Preferences is configured exactly as to how the pixels are actually wired/communicating. Next is insuring the controller is set up correctly as to the wiring of the pixels and their type of pixel. One thing you didn't mention is having the Control Panel operating in the background? If it is, you should see those pixels on the preview. Now also please understand that you cannot run both the Hardware Utility and the Sequencer software or player, at the same time. Only one program can control the lights at a time. Therefore if you launch the Hardware utility, it will take control of the lights and not let it go, I think, until you close it. Same goes, I think, for the sequencer. Now I do think the player will release the control of the lights but only if a show is not running. Please don't hold me to that.

Just saw that you are using a Pixe16 as opposed to my thought you were using a Pixcon16. Please ignore my ideas here.

Edited by dgrant
Fixed my Freudian spelling error, lol, Thank You Phill!

99% of the time when people first start getting into pixels the problem is the Unit IDs. You haven't mentioned the IDs for each of your controllers.

• Like 1

Oops, also saw that I might not know what I'm talking about when it comes to Pixie controllers as opposed to Pixcon. I don't have any Pixie controllers so if they are RS485 only types, then my thoughts above were and are, totally worthless. I was picturing Pixcon16 controllers which I have two of.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dgrant said:

Oops, also saw that I might not know what I'm talking about when it comes to Pixie controllers as opposed to Pixcon. I don't have any Pixie controllers so if they are RS485 only types, then my thoughts above were and are, totally worthless. I was picturing Pixcon16 controllers which I have two of.

Just consider a Pixie16 as the RS485 half of a pixcon16, pretty much the same.

My guess as well - Unit IDs wrong.

Remember that the Pixie 16 uses 16 Unit IDs - counting in hexadecimal.

Which is also the reason I prefer to start oh natural binary Boundaries. It make spotting oopses easier

for 16 Port: x0-xF

for 8 port: x0-x7, x8-xF  (I use the 8 port base for my Pixie4's as I can just swap in a Pixie8 without changing anything else that exists)

On 12/2/2021 at 9:30 AM, Mr. P said:

99% of the time when people first start getting into pixels the problem is the Unit IDs. You haven't mentioned the IDs for each of your controllers.

Mr.P, I only have apple products, Just went out and bought a Windows laptop in order to download the software. I am running my light show off of a show time director and a few SD cards. Now that I have the lap top, I am assuming I can connect to the Pixie16 controller and see what the Unit Ids are. 

11 minutes ago, Zbabbs said:

Mr.P, I only have apple products, Just went out and bought a Windows laptop in order to download the software. I am running my light show off of a show time director and a few SD cards. Now that I have the lap top, I am assuming I can connect to the Pixie16 controller and see what the Unit Ids are. 

As long as you have a LOR adapter (HU does not care if you use a Black on Pixies, but shows do)

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

As long as you have a LOR adapter (HU does not care if you use a Black on Pixies, but shows do)

Im going to give it a go in the morning. Once I connect it to my Laptop, and I open the HU. What do I change ? the Unit IDs? what do you recommend changing them to ? 

3 minutes ago, Zbabbs said:

Im going to give it a go in the morning. Once I connect it to my Laptop, and I open the HU. What do I change ? the Unit IDs? what do you recommend changing them to ? 

If you are buying canned sequences that you can't change, you need to match the groupings THEY use LOR has a Layout 3. pick each group of ACCENT that are for your controller type (AC, Dumb Smart)

ALMOST always, you want the Primary 01,02... then fill with accents

14 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I see you are in the Atlanta area, if you find yourself in a bind then shoot me a pm as I am in the area as well.

PM sent. 

Purchased sequences from the LOR store or Wow lights may not match up RGB channels with what you may be attempting to use. If you purchased you can modify it would be a lot easier for you to see the difference in S5. You can still figure it out in the RTG sequences

When you are assigning pixel controllers to AC unit sequences you will get very few pixels to light up and the colors will be off.

Just an FYI

JR

6 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Purchased sequences from the LOR store or Wow lights may not match up RGB channels with what you may be attempting to use. If you purchased you can modify it would be a lot easier for you to see the difference in S5. You can still figure it out in the RTG sequences

When you are assigning pixel controllers to AC unit sequences you will get very few pixels to light up and the colors will be off.

Just an FYI

JR

Everything was purchased from LOR. The pixie16 came in a bundle with the RGB lights. You would think because i got everything together it would work. 

Just now, Zbabbs said:

Everything was purchased from LOR. The pixie16 came in a bundle with the RGB lights. You would think because i got everything together it would work. 

What is the unit ID of the pixie? What are you trying to control with it?

Its an add on, when adding on some things must be changed. For example - if you are trying to place RGB lights on your roof with the pixie16 and using an LOR purchased sequence. The roof outlines for the purchased sequences are normally AC controllers for units 1-4. Therefore you would only get a few lights on if the pixie is unit ID 1

JR

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

What is the unit ID of the pixie? What are you trying to control with it?

Its an add on, when adding on some things must be changed. For example - if you are trying to place RGB lights on your roof with the pixie16 and using an LOR purchased sequence. The roof outlines for the purchased sequences are normally AC controllers for units 1-4. Therefore you would only get a few lights on if the pixie is unit ID 1

JR

I have the AC controller controlling the majority of the show, those are all working. I have the pixels that are running from the Pixie16 around the garage, on some bushes and wrapping columns in front of the house. I followed the outline that LOR has for the sequences. Just thought it would be cool to have some pixels in other places besides my Pixel tree. I haven't checked the Unit ID getting ready to do that now. 

2 minutes ago, Zbabbs said:

I have the AC controller controlling the majority of the show, those are all working. I have the pixels that are running from the Pixie16 around the garage, on some bushes and wrapping columns in front of the house. I followed the outline that LOR has for the sequences. Just thought it would be cool to have some pixels in other places besides my Pixel tree. I haven't checked the Unit ID getting ready to do that now. 

You have to remember other than the trees LOR sequences do not include a pixie16. If you purchased sequences with the windows that would be the closest for a pixie 16 but will not light up all of the lights. If you purchased you can modify you can add your pixie and copy paste in to your pixie16 ports but you will have to gte creative to do so.

JR

the Unit Id of the pixie16 and 01,etc.. i tested them all ports are working. Do u think changing the Unit Ids will help ?