Light-O-Rama Forums

Configuration testing problem

Tim Storey

Two questions:

I already configured all 9 controllers using Hardware utility. #7 is a 1602W. Utility accepted the configuration and communicated. I did not change the dip switches to 09 though. 

First - despite that it communicated when set with utility, do I need to set the dip switch to 09?

Second - I don't have all my controllers or lights up yet. I have the mega tree on # 7, 8, and 9. (1602W is #9) I just wanted to test the tree. I went straight from computer --- USB4858 to controller 7 ---- 8 ----9.

Not communicating - red light flashing. Do I have to go directly to 1st controller, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and then to 7,8,9 to test, or should I be able to connect to any controller that was configured and test?

On controllers that have DIP switches for setting the ID, you can either use the DIP switches to set the Unit ID, OR you can set the switches to 00 and use the Hardware Utility.  If the DIP switches are not set to 00, then the ID will be set based on the switches when the controller powers up..  

Does not matter what order the controllers are connected.

When you are trying to test, are you testing from the Sequencer or by running a show?

What is the network speed?  And since your profile shows an Advanced license level, I assume the network is not set for Enhanced?

I'm testing from the sequencer. Control lights is on. Red button at bottom right is on - Comm:DOWN-Regular. 
I'm using 4.4.16 for this year's show. Speed is 57.6K

Another possible factor. I'm using a Windows 7 computer for the show. When I configured controllers, I wasn't finding the port, so I had to upgrade firmware and then the USB port was recognized.
It was recommended that I upgrade the USB 485B but before I did that, the controllers started communicating, so I assumed the firmware was OK.

However, the controllers did now show up as the type controller and the number, it just showed what I set the controller to be called, EX - 01, 02 ,03 etc. 

Maybe I need to update the firmware on the 485B, but then I'm afraid I'd have to reconfigure and the controllers are scattered out over the yard now. Plus, the hardware utility was controlling the lights on every controller. 

There is no firmware in the USB dongles.  There is a windows DRIVER

Did you load the LOR dongle driver (WITHOUT the dongle plugged in)?  (Windows will not install the CORRECT driver on its own)

I didn't download a driver. When I checked the ports in settings I wasn't finding the port for the LOR. I got on preferences and it told me to update the drivers for the USB ports, they they showed up. 

17 minutes ago, Tim Storey said:

I didn't download a driver. When I checked the ports in settings I wasn't finding the port for the LOR. I got on preferences and it told me to update the drivers for the USB ports, they they showed up. 

The driver came on the CD with the dongle, but you can get it at the LOR  download site. It is required

Edited by TheDucks
lost content

Unhooked CAT5 from 7 going out to 8 & 9. Got in hardware utility for 7. Reset. Works fine. I'll try the same with 8 & 9, then go back to sequence and see what happens. 

Everything is working on sequence after I configured the the 3 controllers. I guess I just need to reconfigure all of them. 

Thanks for the help.