Light-O-Rama Forums

How do I locate the controller 01 so I can add controller 02

Biff

I tried to set an ID to a second controller. I kept getting a com port 3 error. I would like to check my original controller but can’t seem to find it. I went through the help menu but still can’t figure it out. So what I need help with is:

1) Find the first controller so I can record and make changes to plugs.

2) set the ID to the second controller and add the right plugs to the additional lights that I added in the preview. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated😂

Oh also… I’m adding a LOR pixel tree. Would that just plug into the second controller then off to the tree. I also ordered the red high speed adapter. Does that need any special attention or does it just replace the old adapter from las year which was not high speed?

First off, are you sure Com 3 is the correct com port?

Secondly, the red HS adapter is for your Pixel Tree, if you have older controllers, you'll still need that OLDER adapter to use as the Regular Network, the pixel Tree will become Network 2 {Aux A} and it will use a DIFFERENT com port when you install it.

Once you have the com ports defined and configured correctly, you should be able to locate any Controller plugged into the RS485 adapter, you will have to select the correct com port for each adapter, in my case Com 3 is my regular network, Com 4 is my HS Aux A {2nd} network for many of my RGB items.

I use an N4-G4 Director  to run my shows as currently I need 4 networks for the different types of controllers I have in use, {Regular, Aux A, B and C}

But running from a computer, you need an adapter for each network you may requite.

And finally the Pixel Tree DOES NOT plug into your controller 2, if it's an AC controller like a CTB16PC, no way is that going to run your Pixel Tree, that requires an RGB Controller and RS485 red high speed adapter to run.  If you bought the Pixel Tree kit, it should have come with the proper controller to utilize and run your RGB pixel tree.  And that controller DOES NOT plug into an CTB16PC controller, but into a direct outlet, just like your other controllers do.   You could possibly control the RGB controller with off/on commands from a CTB16PC controller, but I would not recommend it, if you make an error and program a fade or special effect for that channel, you may let out the magic smoke out of your RGB controller.  Better to have a dedicated outlet for the RGB controller.

BTW: if you try to plug in your Pixel Tree {if you didn't buy the kit that comes with the correct controller}, you WILL let out the magic smoke from the strands on the tree and destroy them.   Pixels are most always DC powered, either 5 or 12VDC, plugging a DC item into an AC power supply is a sure way to destroy it.  Not only that, it could also start a fire, something you really do not want to happen!

Edited by Orville

💡  Advanced -Pro users. (the lower levels probably can't spare an ID)

No ID 01 in your show. (Assumes no store bought sequences that can't change)

Time to replace/add another NEW controller (ID 01). Plug it in, Plug it in 😛, then change its ID. No need to disconnect others

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 10:05 AM, Orville said:

First off, are you sure Com 3 is the correct com port?

Secondly, the red HS adapter is for your Pixel Tree, if you have older controllers, you'll still need that OLDER adapter to use as the Regular Network, the pixel Tree will become Network 2 {Aux A} and it will use a DIFFERENT com port when you install it.

Once you have the com ports defined and configured correctly, you should be able to locate any Controller plugged into the RS485 adapter, you will have to select the correct com port for each adapter, in my case Com 3 is my regular network, Com 4 is my HS Aux A {2nd} network for many of my RGB items.

I use an N4-G4 Director  to run my shows as currently I need 4 networks for the different types of controllers I have in use, {Regular, Aux A, B and C}

But running from a computer, you need an adapter for each network you may requite.

And finally the Pixel Tree DOES NOT plug into your controller 2, if it's an AC controller like a CTB16PC, no way is that going to run your Pixel Tree, that requires an RGB Controller and RS485 red high speed adapter to run.  If you bought the Pixel Tree kit, it should have come with the proper controller to utilize and run your RGB pixel tree.  And that controller DOES NOT plug into an CTB16PC controller, but into a direct outlet, just like your other controllers do.   You could possibly control the RGB controller with off/on commands from a CTB16PC controller, but I would not recommend it, if you make an error and program a fade or special effect for that channel, you may let out the magic smoke out of your RGB controller.  Better to have a dedicated outlet for the RGB controller.

BTW: if you try to plug in your Pixel Tree {if you didn't buy the kit that comes with the correct controller}, you WILL let out the magic smoke from the strands on the tree and destroy them.   Pixels are most always DC powered, either 5 or 12VDC, plugging a DC item into an AC power supply is a sure way to destroy it.  Not only that, it could also start a fire, something you really do not want to happen!

Thanks for the help. Going to sit down and try to figure it out. Going to check com ports first. So just to make sure I understand you. I can run controller 1 and controller 2 using one port. But the pixel tree needs the high speed adapter (which I did get) and that needs its own com port? Thanks again😀

4 minutes ago, Biff said:

Thanks for the help. Going to sit down and try to figure it out. Going to check com ports first. So just to make sure I understand you. I can run controller 1 and controller 2 using one port. But the pixel tree needs the high speed adapter (which I did get) and that needs its own com port? Thanks again😀

Yes.

13 hours ago, TheSignGuy said:

LOR-Typical Layout-Controller Boards

I did get the controllers ID in and figured out the ports. I tried to install the driver for the pixel off the CD that came with the high speed adapter but it won’t load. I’ll try to download it off the website later. Now when I hooked up the adapter to another port it asked me the same question “is this the port that the show will run on”. I did yes for the 2 controllers on port 2. Do I click yes for the port 3 that the high speed adapter will go in for the pixel tree? I didn’t know if it would cancel the show in port 2. Not sure if that makes sense… 

Only answer that question ONCE ever. It will reset (scramble) a multi-adapter show network. I sets the current adapter to REGULAR (and my disconnects any others that clash)

The proper (and only place) to assign COM ports is the Network utility (on the control menu) Mark your adapters with their assigned (once settled) Network names. Windows will continue to use the same COM (unless you mess with things) on THAT PC . Contrary to some opinions: There is no REQUIRED Com-Adapter assignments.  I use COM10,11,12,13  as My laptop has had other serial uses in its early days. It works just fine

IN HU, just choose the COM port from the pulldown, then click refresh (to the right)

HU only deals with a single adapter AT A TIME. do not expect to see any controller not on the current network. 

As a matter, get in the habit of looking at all that Refresh found: OOPS! what is 4B doing on my Black network 😲 (this is also a great place to see FW levels for Each board)