Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon 16 Pixel Flashing

LightshowNoober

Hello everyone, 

I'm hoping a Pixcon16 expert can help w/ this cause I'm at my wits end. I'm using S5, 5.6.6, and a pro license, and I've got the Pixcon configured correctly (i think) and i've attached a link below. The link  is a short video of what my megatree is doing. 

My megatree is 16 strands, each strand w/ 100 pixels. I'm using WS2811 also. I ran my show for the first time this weekend, and it flashes and has a "strobing" effect. It did this before I updated the firmware, and the firmware I installed was the one for the pixcon16 w S5 5.6.2 or higher. The tree did the same thing before and after uploading the new firmware so I'm sure that isn't the issue. I also made sure the Pixcon was in bootloader mode before updating firmware, and I did the firmware update twice. 

I've done the recent Windows updates also and my laptop is less than six months old. I can find my megatree in the NP setup, I've changed the outputs and universes to match the prop, but it doesn't change anything. Also, when I'm in the "test" tab, it will not run the RGBW cycle. Interestingly enough, I can choose the red, green, blue, or white colors separately and it will display those colors. Lastly, I've tried connecting directly to the pixcon16 and through my router (w/ my wifi turned off) and it does the same thing. I've also tried a new network cable and still no change. 

I made a test sequence in SS and I have to export the intensity data into a playback file because S5 will not support more than 50 pixels when using the "Insert Superstar Effect" that I've created onto a motion effect row for my megatree, even though my megatree prop is setup correctly in S5. When I've tried to insert the files I've made, the files only play on half of the tree. Now when I choose an effect from S5 (i.e.bars, curtain, etc.) it will play on the entire tree w/ no glitches or strobing. 

I'm fine w/ exporting intensity data into playback files, the main issue I need fixed is the strobing effect. I used to have this problem when I'd run my megatree w/ a Pixie16 because the communication couldn't keep up w/ the amount of data being sent. When I upgraded to the Pixcon16 last year, it played all my sequences beautifully. I don't know if this is a bug in the 5.6.6 version. 

On a side note, last year I used 5.5.18 and my megatree played all my sequences w/ no strobing or flashing effects as it has this year. I really don't want to downgrade to a previous version but I will if need be. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PpMJrHJah3VEorq5hJ2m9bCsHYaVeepH/view?usp=sharing

Pixcon LED Setup.png

Pixcon Search Screenshot.png

Pixcon setup Network Tab.png

Pixcon Test Screen.png

Pixcon Universe Setup.png

The last picture shows incorrect information.  With S5, the start universe has to be in HEX, not just a number.  This is the same problem that stumped me for several hours.  So, for instance, if your pixcon16 board is setup to use (S4) unit id's 10-16, you use the link below to find the appropriate HEX value and that's the information you need to enter into the start universe

http://www.lightorama.com/help/unit_id_values.htm

*NOTE: Sorry didn't see you were using the card as a e1.31 device.  Mine are all still LOR.  I can't tell you if the information above is still correct or not.

Edited by BluMan

On 11/29/2021 at 8:11 PM, BluMan said:

The last picture shows incorrect information.  With S5, the start universe has to be in HEX, not just a number.  This is the same problem that stumped me for several hours.  So, for instance, if your pixcon16 board is setup to use (S4) unit id's 10-16, you use the link below to find the appropriate HEX value and that's the information you need to enter into the start universe

*NOTE: Sorry didn't see you were using the card as a e1.31 device.  Mine are all still LOR.  I can't tell you if the information above is still correct or not.

BlueMan, I went through that stress on my first Pixie16 four years ago. lol. I wish the solution was that easy too. I still haven't had any luck on getting it fixed. 

On 11/29/2021 at 10:11 PM, BluMan said:

Universes do not go in Hex, only unit IDs do. However in the Pixcon Configuration they do need to change the "Pixels per output" to 100 as they only have a 1 in there.

Edited by Mr. P

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Universes do not go in Hex, only unit IDs do. However in the Pixcon Configuration they do need to change the "Pixels per output" to 100 as they only have a 1 in there.

Mr P, thank you for the information. I tried that but when i change the pixels per output, it changes my universe mapping to the picture below and the tree still flashes and strobes. Is my DMX tab setup right? i'm curious about all universes sharing the same IP address because when I choose the multicast option, it assigns a different IP to each universe. Not sure if this is the cause.

Any other suggestions? thank you in advance. 

*UPDATE* So I tried assigning a different static IP to each universe however that didn't change anything so that must not have been the cause. 

Pixcon universe remap.gif

DMX tab1.png

Edited by LightshowNoober
more information

The entire controller should have one IP it doesn't matter how many ports or universes. Think of it as an apartment building, the IP is the address of the building (controller) and the Universes are the apartments inside. The IP directs the data to that controller and the universe directs the date to a specific port.

Edited by Mr. P

9 hours ago, Mr. P said:

The entire controller should have one IP it doesn't matter how many ports or universes. Think of it as an apartment building, the IP is the address of the building (controller) and the Universes are the apartments inside. The IP directs the data to that controller and the universe directs the date to a specific port.

Thx Mr P. You are correct. I'm not sure if this is just a bug or what but I tried changing the pixels per output to 100 and it rearranged the universes to the second pic above so I'm still not sure what to try next. I might  just have to downgrade and try that tonight. 

1 hour ago, LightshowNoober said:

Thx Mr P. You are correct. I'm not sure if this is just a bug or what but I tried changing the pixels per output to 100 and it rearranged the universes to the second pic above so I'm still not sure what to try next. I might  just have to downgrade and try that tonight. 

The links to your pics are broke so I can't see them.

11 hours ago, Mr. P said:

The links to your pics are broke so I can't see them.

Mr. P. the pics showed my original configuration but nothing seems to fix the issue. I've downgraded to last year's version since i can't get this problem solved. I tried the 5.6.8 update but it didn't change a thing either. uggh