Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel matrix images???

Jones lights

Thank you to help from this forum. I have my pixel matrix up and running. I have 2 more questions. I do not have superstar sequencer. I only have the S5 program. 
What is the best option or best way to choose images to show up on the matrix without being blurry. I heard that it all has to do with the resolutio. Just don’t know what’s best.  Question 2- Just like there are people who share shows, is there a place where images for pixels matrix or pixel trees shared. Thank you in advance. 

You did not say how big your matrix is, but yes, generally the resolution is very low compared to even a low resolution computer monitor.  A really low resolution computer monitor is 600 x 800 pixels.  Most of the pixel based matrix displays used in Christmas lighting are no bigger than 50 x 100 (and usually smaller than that).  As a result of that, you really have to be selective on images used.  I have some images on my 26 x 100 pixel tree, but I think they were all draw rather than imported computer images.

2 hours ago, Jones lights said:

Sorry my Matrix is 4’x8’ with 1200 pixels 

Google whatever image you want using mini such as Santa Dancing mini gif. You may want your matrix close by since it is best to create live, You may look at 50 images to find one that looks good. 

If you use solid background colors and solid images they work the best. IE; black background with a blue lady dancing.

JR

• Like 1

I make some of my own picture to fit the My resolution with a pixel editor called Piskel. I set up a 50 x 48 blank page then import a low res picture file. Piskel then converts it to a grid view. once the file has been converted to a picture with grids. I use it to create a custom motion effect channel. Here is one I use to create a singing Ooggie Boogie effect. The grids are a perfect 50 x 48. 

d229e4efb432a85069ceb6de577d1ea6.png

d229e4efb432a85069ceb6de577d1ea6a.png

Although I'm dark this year therefore no way to really know if it works, I've managed to get actual video to my 24x50 matrix. But as Jim mentioned above, the resolution is not going to be great but from what I see on the preview display, it should work. Actually, I also put it onto my two pixel trees too! Guess I'll be waiting for a while before I can fully test and see it for real.  I'm assuming too that the farther back the matrix is, the better it'll look along with lowering the output of the controllers to somwhere between %50-%70 or so.

15 minutes ago, dgrant said:

Although I'm dark this year therefore no way to really know if it works, I've managed to get actual video to my 24x50 matrix. But as Jim mentioned above, the resolution is not going to be great but from what I see on the preview display, it should work. Actually, I also put it onto my two pixel trees too! Guess I'll be waiting for a while before I can fully test and see it for real.  I'm assuming too that the farther back the matrix is, the better it'll look along with lowering the output of the controllers to somwhere between %50-%70 or so.

Distance depends on pixel spacing when it comes to most of our normal trees and matrix's.

Do not rely heavily on the preview for what the image quality will look like. The only real way to know is looking at it on the matrix. All of my pixel props are run at 30%.

My 1/2" spacing 1200 node 27 X 36 on my golf cart it started washing out at 50'. It is for very close viewing. 

JR

I agree with you. That's why I said I've not seen it actually run other than the preview. The preview, I deliberately tried to make it appear like its sized properly against the background and viewed from across the street. No, not sure at all if it'll work or not.