Light-O-Rama Forums

HU and ELL?

tlogan

Not sure if this is a hardware or software issue but....

Last night I had some weirdness when my CMB controller went out sometime after my first 30 minute show. And another weird thing is one channel on an AC Gen3 went out. It was in the 30s with winds about 30 all day and gusts up to 50, so I waited until this morning to start checking things out. First thing I ran the HU to search for all controllers to see if could find the CMB. And, it DID. So I tested ALL On and it seems to be working now.  Same thing when I tested the channel that was out on the AC controller. I'll keep an eye on it tonight.

The weirdness is that that HU never found an AC Gen3 on the ELL across the street. BUT when I started running sequences, all the lights on the ELL controller worked, as did everything else.

Any ideas why the HU would not find the controller on the ELL or why a controller and 1 channel would go out and then be fine?

It's not uncommon for the HU to not find and/or misidentify controllers.  So I wouldn't worry about that too much.  You might have had some type of power surge or spike that caused the issue with the one channel.  If it happens again, though, I would check the data cables for the ELL's and/or replace them.  If the cable is the least bit marginal it can sometimes scramble the control signals.

• Like 1

Remember ELL is radio. Try and keep a Line of sight path so objects (especially, Metal) don't get between the units Low on the ground is not a great place

11 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Remember ELL is radio. Try and keep a Line of sight path so objects (especially, Metal) don't get between the units Low on the ground is not a great place

Thanks. The controller is mounted low in a gazebo, but the ELL is mounted high enough along the roof line to have a clear path to my house. All wiring appears fine, as suggested in above post response.

To be clear, the CMB and the controller with one channel that went out are wired. I just thought it weird that the HU wasn't finding the one controller on the ELL even though it is working fine and that the other issues seem to be resolved this morning without me having to do anything.

18 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Thanks. The controller is mounted low in a gazebo, but the ELL is mounted high enough along the roof line to have a clear path to my house. All wiring appears fine, as suggested in above post response.

To be clear, the CMB and the controller with one channel that went out are wired. I just thought it weird that the HU wasn't finding the one controller on the ELL even though it is working fine and that the other issues seem to be resolved this morning without me having to do anything.

Finding is a Poll and Response activity. It may have just timed out (waiting) before HU tried the next ID