Light-O-Rama Forums

Extensions for 10W RGB floods

Oliver Blatt

Good Morning Everyone!

I have a gig coming up in two weeks where I'm using 10W RGB floods. However, I need longer cables on them. Because of my lack of foresight, I just recently discovered that it looks like a LOR order won't arrive in time (totally my fault...I'm not blaming LOR!) Has anyone ever extended the "stock" cords coming out of the floods to make them longer? If so, what size wire did you use, and also, how long is "too long" before there is appreciable voltage drop?

Thanks in advance for any guidance as I cover my behind for something that is completely my fault!

As long as you don't mind cutting and soldering, you can easily extend them.  The current is pretty low, so unless you are going a long ways, you don't need large wire.  I would use 18AWG (two runs of SPT-1 zip cord if you have a roll of that handy).  That should be fine for 50 to 100 feet.  If you really need more length than that, you MAY want to double up on the common wire or use a larger wire size for the common positive.  I have some that are about 60 feet from the controller without any problems.

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Extend the stock pigtails. No cutting required.

You need 4-core wire 20 or 18' (the longer runs should be 18ga)

I was thinking I might be able to do that. I'm still kicking myself for being just as delayed as the supply chains on this...thanks for the input.

29 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

As long as you don't mind cutting and soldering, you can easily extend them.  The current is pretty low, so unless you are going a long ways, you don't need large wire.  I would use 18AWG (two runs of SPT-1 zip cord if you have a roll of that handy).  That should be fine for 50 to 100 feet.  If you really need more length than that, you MAY want to double up on the common wire or use a larger wire size for the common positive.  I have some that are about 60 feet from the controller without any problems.

Thanks for the input on the length! Appreciate the help.

I believe I did extensions of about 40ft for a few of my outputs, 0 issues with colors even White with the stock (250watt??) LOR power supply.