Light-O-Rama Forums

pixel tree

GeorgeM11

Hello, 

Im currently strting to create my pixel tree. Probably wont get it up in time with sequences for this year but I have 500 smart pixels, a pixie 8 controller,

Ive seen 16x50   16x25    trees  Has anyone made an unorthodox tree such as a 10x50 or a 8x50 and such?  Curious if going away from the normal configurations people have in creating my own would be hard and cause problems or would look funky.
Just trying to brainstorm fully and hear opinions before I make a final decision on the size and such

Yes, you could do 10 x 50 or 8 x 50.  Both would be FAR better in a flat tree configuration rather than a round tree.  With that few strings, you would be very limited on being able to have useful graphics or text.  However patterns and chases would be fine.

I will give you fair warning that if you build a 8 x 50 tree, you are going to want to make it larger (in pixel count) later on.  I started with what was pretty much the standard 12 x 50 flat tree a decade ago.  A few years later, 16 x 50 became the standard and I wanted to upgrade.  However by the time I upgraded it for the 2018 season, I doubled both counts to make it 24 x 100 which really looked pretty good.  2020 I rebuilt it to add two more strings so it is now 26 x 100.  I added the two additional strings primarily because in two songs, I have a vertically hanging US flag and 13 strips just works better on 26 strings than it does on 24 strings.

Also note that you will almost certainly need to upgrade to a Pro license.  The Pixie controllers either prefer or require (depends on who you listen to) an Enhanced LOR network which requires the Pro license.  That also gives you access to Motion Effects which makes your life far easier from a sequencing perspective.

Also, where in California are you? 

The main reason people go for "standard sizes" is to make use of shared or purchased sequences.. If you plan to sequence your own props make it how you want. Obviously the closer the spacing the better images and text will look. I have a 17 by 50 tree and two small 12 by 25 trees, but I have no intension of using text or images on either.

Thanks for both of your responses I appreciate the info a lot! Im thinking ill probably end up going small the first year while learning to program/sequence it and then upgrade! All the info yall gave is very helpful I never thought of doing a flat tree instead of rounded which would look nice in my current set up.  I dont think ill use any text but im glad you informed me the closer the better for that! I bought the Pro version just forgot to update my profile on here! Thanks for the reminder on that

Thanks again!

Im up north in California more so towards SF @k6ccc 

1 minute ago, GeorgeM11 said:

Im up north in California more so towards SF

I guess a little far for me to drive to see your show...