Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie8D Will not Turn on lights

Scott011422

Hey guys

Odd one here. Have a 2nd gen Pixie8d running my megaish tree. Worked great all last year. Just went to put it up and cant get any of the pixels to turn on. Brought the Pixie in the house and did some testing.

*When I turn on the pixie power, the pixels flash blue. ( So something is workings and the fuses are good.)

*LOR Hardware configurator sees the pixie on the network.

*Nothing I do in the test section causes any pixels on any port to turn on.

*Turned off power to pixie, pressed and held the reset button and turned power back on to reset unit.

*NO Changes.

*While pixie is on, quickly pressed reset to enter test mode. status light on the board blinks as it should, pixels do not.

I have another 2nd gen Pixie8D i just bought for some RGB flood lights. Did same tests with that board.

*When I turn on the pixie power, the pixels flash blue. ( So something is workings and the fuses are good.)

*LOR Hardware configurator sees the pixie on the network.

*Everything in the test section causes pixels to light 

*Turned off power to pixie, pressed and held the reset button and turned power back on to reset unit.

*While pixie is on, quickly pressed reset to enter test mode. status light on the board blinks as it should, pixels do as well.

I noticed the new board had higher firmware. So I updated the old board and still no changes.

What Am i missing here?

Thanks Guys

Are you sure you have the Data Wire in the correct contact (and not in the clock pin)

Another common goof is Insulation caught in the wire clamp part of the connector

Do you have a DVM, Go measure the DC voltage  AT THE END if the strings. If you have a poor connection, the voltage might drop after the initial Blue flash. I would worry if below 10.5V (assumes 12v PIXELS)

Ducks

The data wire is for sure in the data terminal. All my clock terminals are empty. And just because, I also took the working harness from the second, newer Pixie and plugged it into the first, older Pixie and nothing happened. All the same issues.

I too have done this in the past, But, its all 8 ports, they all worked last year (In a really nice enclosure), and As above, Moved the entire working harness from the other Pixie. So wire connections should be fine.

I did that last night to make sure the power supply didn't go bad over the summer. i am at 12.05v everywhere I check.

Thanks Ducks!

New Info

So apparently the reset procedure in the book is wrong.

1) Power on Pixie

2) Press and hold reset button until status light flashes quickly.

3) While continuing to hold down the reset button, turn off the Pixie

4) Continuing to hold down the reset button, Power the Pixie back up.

5) Once the status light starts flashing quickly, you may now release the reset button.

This is what Light-O-Rama Tech Support said to do. This did the ticket for whatever reason. Everything seems to work fine now.

Thanks Guys

• Like 1