Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 Fan Noise

jphauck

I purchased two PIxie 16 controllers. I am loving using it. Easy to set up. Works like a charm. I upgraded the firmware and everything went well. I have had all 16 channels working with 100 pixels each.

However, I notice the internal fan comes on quite frequently and is very loud. Is this expected? 

I hate to think about that noise out in my yard at night when the show is running or silent and it attracting attention to someone who might consider stealing it.

Please let me know if this fan noise is normal.

25 minutes ago, jphauck said:

I have had all 16 channels working with 100 pixels each.

First of all, it's not 16 channels, but rather 16 ports or outputs from your Pixie controller.  With 100 pixels, each port has 300 channels.

26 minutes ago, jphauck said:

However, I notice the internal fan comes on quite frequently and is very loud. Is this expected? 

I assume you mean the fan on the power supply.  Generally the fans on power supplies are temperature controlled, so yes, they will cycle - especially if there is a fairly high load.  At least none of mine are what I would call loud.

Apologies for my misuse of terminology - channels versus ports - got to appreciate those who have time to go around and make sure they correct the rest of us that are not perfect.

1 hour ago, jphauck said:

Apologies for my misuse of terminology - channels versus ports

It's a common error and causes lots of confusion.  And yes in this technology, terminology sometimes makes a big difference.

3 hours ago, jphauck said:

I purchased two PIxie 16 controllers. I am loving using it. Easy to set up. Works like a charm. I upgraded the firmware and everything went well. I have had all 16 channels working with 100 pixels each.

I hate to think about that noise out in my yard at night when the show is running or silent and it attracting attention to someone who might consider stealing it.

Please let me know if this fan noise is normal.

The fan is doing its job. It’s when you don’t hear it every now and then that you need to look at it

Pixie controllers are great.

JR

2 hours ago, jphauck said:

Apologies for my misuse of terminology - channels versus ports - got to appreciate those who have time to go around and make sure they correct the rest of us that are not perfect.

Yeah, words mean things. I've spent hours troubleshooting items when someone used the word they thought was correct, and I didn't verify what they were talking about.

No one is being nitpicky. As an example a Protected and Encrypted sequence are two different things. A controller running standalone doesn't mean it can run musical sequences. And Tracks (in S4 and below) are not referring to the MP3 files you can use.

Not sure how you "Protect" a Sequence without some form of Security (Encryption) & with every form of Protection & Encryption there is a "Key"

Edited by Jimehc

3 hours ago, Jimehc said:

Not sure how you "Protect" a Sequence without some form of Security (Encryption) & with every form of Protection & Encryption there is a "Key"

Exactly my point. In the LOR world an encrypted sequence is one that you created and saved on an unlicensed version of the software. It's saved in an encrypted format, and you can't copy/paste from that sequence when it's opened on another computer. (And some other limitations.)

A Protected sequence is one that has been exported into a Protected mode, meaning the contents of the sequence can not be seen nor edited by the Sequencer.