Light-O-Rama Forums

How to run test show from laptop with sequence that has three networks?

machtoo

I have never used a pc to run a show controlling lights.  I write to an SD card and use an MP3 director.  My sequences are a combination of legacy a/c channels, a CCR ribbon tree, and a new 16x100 pixel tree.  All sequences are fine in the previewer and I expect will run fine with the new N4-G4 director...I tested it this summer with the pixel tree.

I have setup the pixel tree for the season and tested the individual channels using the Hardware Utility from a  laptop. So I know the software and controller are communicating.  I use an RS 485 adapter. My question, out of ignorance is how to test the full tree from the laptop with the sequencer.  I am getting various errors.  Since I an using one adapter for testing, I tried configuring the AUX B network (the pixel tree network) at 1000 then 500.  I get a message that the CCR tree star device cannot run.

Is there anyway to configure the sequencer to only drive the AUX B and the pixel tree for testing and ignore everything else?

Thanks

Create a Preview just with the Tree and set as same Unit ID as controller - you can then run as Reg network - since you are testing a single Prop and not you whole display..

As long as you have your adapter mapped to the same NET as the ID assigned. it will run JUST that net.  3 Nets need 3 adapter to run all at the same time.

On the Control Lights pullout tab on the right is a checkmark for what networks to attempt to control.  Uncheck the networks that do NOT have an adapter, then you can control the one you do.

5 hours ago, machtoo said:

I have never used a pc to run a show controlling lights.  I write to an SD card and use an MP3 director.  My sequences are a combination of legacy a/c channels, a CCR ribbon tree, and a new 16x100 pixel tree.  All sequences are fine in the previewer and I expect will run fine with the new N4-G4 director...I tested it this summer with the pixel tree.

I have setup the pixel tree for the season and tested the individual channels using the Hardware Utility from a  laptop. So I know the software and controller are communicating.  I use an RS 485 adapter. My question, out of ignorance is how to test the full tree from the laptop with the sequencer.  I am getting various errors.  Since I an using one adapter for testing, I tried configuring the AUX B network (the pixel tree network) at 1000 then 500.  I get a message that the CCR tree star device cannot run.

Is there anyway to configure the sequencer to only drive the AUX B and the pixel tree for testing and ignore everything else?

Thanks

Are you sure the Pixel Tree and the Star are all on the same network when testing?  I also use an N4-G4 Director to run my shows, but when using a computer to test ALL, or ANY, of my RGB Devices, I have a 2nd channel config set up for just that purpose, my main channel config is set for all networks used on the N4-G4 Director, the dummy or "Sequence Testing Channel Config" as I call it, has all my RGB Controllers set on Aux B, 500K, enhanced network.  When I'm done using the test channel config, I just import the normal N4-G4 Channel config file. 

However, I do have 2 adapters, a regular black USB485B for connecting the Director to for FW updates and setting its time straight from the computers' internet time connection, as well as my older G1 V2 CTB16PC controllers.  Then I also have a red HS USB Adapter, which the Pixies seem to require, so if you're using Pixie Controllers, I'd definitely recommend getting a red HS adapter. 

I could NEVER get my LOR Singing Trees to operate from the Regular network black adapter because it can't really do more than 115.4K, and most Pixies do require 500K at a minimum, and also enhanced is usually needed for them.

Forgot to add, I'm using S4, learning S5, so I'm not sure id S5 has a channel config file, if so, you need to open it, and scroll down the list to be sure both your star and tree are on the same network, if they are, it may be that black USB485 adapter just can't run the star {especially if it's on a separate controller, and that controller happens to be a Pixie}.

Edited by Orville