Light-O-Rama Forums

A noticeable lag during playback on SE

Sctiger

I came across a post on another forum that mentioned network speeds and the recommended amount of pixels.  LOR's official recommendation is 2400 pixels when run at 500k or 4800 when run at 1000k. There was a caveat thrown in there that really got me thinking though. It said if you have complex effects or timings, it could also affect things as well.

Well...just this week, I ordered more RAM for my show computer because I noticed a visable lag during playback on Sequence Editor.  The little time bar that scrolls across would even kind of hang up for moment and I had a new pixie II controller connected and it was visible there as well.  I only have 6 pixie controllers sequenced (plus the 3 AC controllers)...700 pixels in total..using the  RS485 High Speed (red) Adapter...16 GB RAM upgrading to 24 GB.  Was I wrong in thinking it was a computer issue?  I thought this because I actually started the sequence on another desktop and didn't notice anything similar.  That computer has a lower version of S4 (can't remember the actual version, I'm at work at the moment.).  Maybe the timings are too quick on the sequence.  

Edited by Sctiger

32 minutes ago, Sctiger said:

LOR's official recommendation is 2400 pixels when run at 500k or 4800 when run at 1000k.

Unless it has changed, that is double the standard recommendation.  That is also depends on using an Enhanced network (not available with your Advanced license level).

Note that Playback from SE and playback from the show player are NOT the same.  The show player takes FAR less capability than the SE.  One other issue that can affect a sequencing computer is video capability.  When I changed my pixel tree from 600 pixels to 2400 pixels, I had to put a better video card in it - which required a new computer - but the video card was the issue.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

One other issue that can affect a sequencing computer is video capability.  When I changed my pixel tree from 600 pixels to 2400 pixels, I had to put a better video card in it - which required a new computer - but the video card was the issue.

That was my next path forward. The RAM was just the cheaper option. 🤣. Thanks Jim!

5 hours ago, Sctiger said:

That was my next path forward. The RAM was just the cheaper option. 🤣. Thanks Jim!

I have never read about 4800 when run at 1000k enhanced. BTW- that speed is really new for a pixie controller

Note 1000k Enhanced will only work if Pixies are the only type of controller used.

No AC, No CMB24 if you plan on using that network at 1000k Enhanced you must remove the other controllers.

Where are you see documentation on the 4800 pixels if 1000k?

JR

Even on my fairly high power machine I see occasional glitches when playing the Sequencer, on the preview and with real lights. Remember the Sequencer is rendering in real time so I don't worry too much about it 

The Show Player, on the other hand is basically playing back a "recorded show" as the playback files are rendered in advance. I rarely see glitches there, and more often than not, if I do, they are sequencing errors on my part.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I'll see if I can grab a screen shot of it.

17 hours ago, dibblejr said:

23 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Unless it has changed, that is double the standard recommendation. 

Hey guys! This is where I got that info from.  Not sure what platform the OP was interacting with LOR on. Maybe I misunderstood it. 

253652799_712241999733232_1798208191045665440_n.jpg

23 hours ago, Sctiger said:

I have never read about 4800 when run at 1000k enhanced. BTW- that speed is really new for a pixie controller

Note 1000k Enhanced will only work if Pixies are the only type of controller used.

No AC, No CMB24 if you plan on using that network at 1000k Enhanced you must remove the other controllers.

JR

I don’t know where that page came from or why the black line to block the content. Here is the website on speeds. Mentions nothing about 4800 pixels if ran at  1000k speed.

Ive been using pixies since beta testing and have never seen that comment.

The below link was posted Dec 10 2020

https://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

Edited by dibblejr

7 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I don’t know where that page came from or why the black line to block the content.

I blacked out the original poster's name. Apparently they were responding to him. Just didn't feel right posting someone else's name. 🤷‍♂️

30 minutes ago, Sctiger said:

I blacked out the original poster's name. Apparently they were responding to him. Just didn't feel right posting someone else's name. 🤷‍♂️

If your profile is correct you need Pro in order to run at the Enhanced speed which is required if you expect your pixie controllers to work as they should.

I just noticed you are on Advanced

If that picture is from any other FB page other than the Official Light O Rama page take it with a grain of salt. There are people out there making editing pictures all of the time. Just like during the sales. 

JR

2 hours ago, Sctiger said:

I have verified that this is a factual post. From one of the most reliable sources. Thanks for the info.

JR

2 hours ago, Sctiger said:

Hey guys! This is where I got that info from.  Not sure what platform the OP was interacting with LOR on. Maybe I misunderstood it. 

253652799_712241999733232_1798208191045665440_n.jpg

For anyone looking, this info is correct

JR

I would be interested in seeing REALLY how well that works with a somewhat complex sequence.

I have reports that even 2400 pixels was pushing it with lots of changes.