Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR not working/ looks damaged in one area

rondaxmas

Is there any way to fix a CCR?  2 of my ribbons look damaged where they were attached to conduit.  Is there a way to see where exactly it is broken and fix it?  As of now I just ordered 3 from LOR, but if I can fix these I can use them elsewhere. THANKS!!

One of the reasons I am using pixels rather than ribbons as much as possible - FAR easier to repair.  The answer is sort of.  About all you can do is cut out the damaged section.  That leaves you with two shorter sections that you can use when you need short sections (such as around windows).  Waterproofing them is possible, but a royal pain.

One word of warning.  Pretty much every batch of pixels will look slightly different, so you do run the risk of having a segment that looks slightly different colors.  Also, if you put multiple segments from different strips together, they MUST be the same pixel type and color order.

Where is the last working node? 3 scenarios

1) the traces are broken.  A simple test: Do you have the proper voltage at the end of the string (assumes a connector as traces are sealed). That just confirm Pwr and Gnd are intact

2)Last Good node data out (or trace) failed

3) First Bad node, Logic chip failed

It can be a cr*p shoot which, but the first bad seems to be more common.

If yo have 'phono (78 days) needle' probes, you might pierce the W/P coating . A Logic probe can help.

Like Jim, I avoid ribbons, just to fragile and a PITA to patch (OK all repairs are a bit of a PITA )

Thank you both! Would I be able to buy pixels strips and connect them to a pixicon16 instead of getting new ribbons? My controller has the special ends on it to connect ribbons to. If  I use pixels would they attach this way and would my sequence still work for them

39 minutes ago, rondaxmas said:

Thank you both! Would I be able to buy pixels strips and connect them to a pixicon16 instead of getting new ribbons? My controller has the special ends on it to connect ribbons to. If  I use pixels would they attach this way and would my sequence still work for them

??? Strips and Ribbons are the same. Or are you talking Rectangles (really just segment of a strip, robustly mounted with leads between.)

Oh ok I am new at this and didn’t think CCR worked the same as pixels. I thought the pixels were used on spiral trees.

2 minutes ago, rondaxmas said:

Oh ok I am new at this and didn’t think CCR worked the same as pixels. I thought the pixels were used on spiral trees.

CCR are Smart nodes.  Dumb nodes (RGB), are not addressable below the String level