Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with set up

Jones lights

Trying to create a matrix

I bought 2 Pixie 8 controllers. Connected 2 50ct lights with one fold

I have each 100 lights connected to each ports 1-8  on one pixie 8 controller and then 100 lights connected to each ports 1-4 in the 2nd pixie 8 controller. 
I am having trouble with the sequence running continuously/ and or reading as one between the 2 controllers.  What am I doing wrong in my set up? Is there some way to help me or is there a video that can help me witt the setup. Thank you 

33 minutes ago, Jones lights said:

Trying to create a matrix

I bought 2 Pixie 8 controllers. Connected 2 50ct lights with one fold

I have each 100 lights connected to each ports 1-8  on one pixie 8 controller and then 100 lights connected to each ports 1-4 in the 2nd pixie 8 controller. 
I am having trouble with the sequence running continuously/ and or reading as one between the 2 controllers.  What am I doing wrong in my set up? Is there some way to help me or is there a video that can help me witt the setup. Thank you 

What is the ID of each Pixie8?

What are your unit IDs for each pixie?

essentially this is an example of what yoi need to do 

change the unit IDs to fit your needs

Pixie8 # 1

Unit IDs. 1-8

Pixie # 2

Unit ID 

9, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10

Now create your matrix in S5

Prop Horizontal Matrix Quad

Start Position - bottom left (normally)

nodes per port 100

# of folds 1

number of strings 12

Use the unit IDs above in your settings in the right inmprop def

If you need help let me know but that will get you there

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I’m a little confused. Change Unit ID in HU or when I create the visualizer. I have the S5 sequencer and now it seems the visualizer is not recognizing my pixie controller. Just so you know I set the ID to 4 and 5 because I have 3 other controllers that i am using with normal lights 

5 hours ago, TheDucks said:

I set it up in the visualizer beginning with 4 thinking that will counteract with my 3 controllers that just use regular lights  that  are not pixie 

10 minutes ago, Jones lights said:

I’m a little confused. Change Unit ID in HU or when I create the visualizer. I have the S5 sequencer and now it seems the visualizer is not recognizing my pixie controller. Just so you know I set the ID to 4 and 5 because I have 3 other controllers that i am using with normal lights 

If you set the Pixie8's to ID's 4 and 5, you have overlapping Unit ID's.

When you set the first one to 04, it used 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0A and 0B.
When you set the second to 05 it used 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0A, 0B and 0C.

Pixie controllers do not work like regular controllers.

Regular AC controllers use 1 unit ID per controller

In hour case you have units 1 , 2 and 3

Your first pixie 8 can start at 4 and will consume 8 unit IDs 

4,5,6,7,8,9, 0A, 0B

Your second pixie 8 will consume 8 more unit IDs abd will look like this

0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10, 11, 12 13

The VIS aka (playback window) will playback whatever the unit IDs you assign in Prop Def however of they do not match the actual controllers the lights will not play in the show

Here is a video to watch

HU tells the Hardware what set of messages its to listen for (ID).

Your sequence tells where to deliver the commands to operate lights  (Network and ID and channel)

Those 2 must match in the end.  Wrong ID, no lights. Wrong channel, No Lights

FWIW For Pixies (and SMART RGB), the channel decode is actually in the light nodes

If you look at Don's example:  You had 2@ 05's so if you sent to Pixie1, (ID for Port 2 is 05), and Pixie 2 Port 1 (ID 05 since the board is 05) would also respond.

There are reasons to want that, but stick to simple 1 for 1 sequences (actually, the sequence has no way to know there are mimicking controllers on the line. This is Advanced stuff )

8 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

HU tells the Hardware what set of messages its to listen for (ID).

Your sequence tells where to deliver the commands to operate lights  (Network and ID and channel)

Those 2 must match in the end.  Wrong ID, no lights. Wrong channel, No Lights

FWIW For Pixies (and SMART RGB), the channel decode is actually in the light nodes

If you look at Don's example:  You had 2@ 05's so if you sent to Pixie1, (ID for Port 2 is 05), and Pixie 2 Port 1 (ID 05 since the board is 05) would also respond.

There are reasons to want that, but stick to simple 1 for 1 sequences (actually, the sequence has no way to know there are mimicking controllers on the line. This is Advanced stuff )

Actually in S5 the sequence does know when two or more controllers are sharing the same channels.

There is an option to select that otherwise you get conflicts.

Not that advanced.

JR

Ok I think I almost have it set up correctly. I have all the switches on off on one unit and 1 switch set to on

in the HU I have set it as Unit 4 and unit 5 

the only problem is that the 4 channels on the second unit are still mirroring the channels from the 1st unit so those channels 9-12 on the second unit are mirroring the channels 1-4 on the first unit. What am I doing wrong now?
Thank you for being patient with me. 

On 10/30/2021 at 6:05 PM, TheDucks said:

That is a good question - we don’t know! We have 3 LOR controllers that are assigned 123 so this controller for the pixies would be 4 and 5 

5 minutes ago, Jones lights said:

That is a good question - we don’t know! We have 3 LOR controllers that are assigned 123 so this controller for the pixies would be 4 and 5 

An AC controller only has 1 Unit ID

A Pixie 2/4/8/16 will have the same number of Unit IDs as the ports equal to the number. So a pixie8 will have 8 unit Id's. They are also in Hexadecimal order 1-9 0A-0F and then the next 10 digit,  to 19 and the 1A-F so on an so forth.

To save yourself problems, please turn off the 1 dip switch - all dip switches set to off and use the Hardware Utility to set the unit ID. You must set in your props as well.

JR 

Edited by dibblejr

34 minutes ago, Jones lights said:

Skip 04-0F for now, good for future DUMB (1 ID items)

Set the first Pixie 8 to HEX 10 (-17 inherited)

Set the second Pixie 8 to Hex 18 (-1F inherited)