Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP: How do you expand Pixie8 to support 100 pixels

Paul Masterson

I bought the Pixie8 controller with 8x50 square pixels. I have found that, to outline the windows, I am better to have a string be 100 pixels. I see that I can couple the two strands together but it will only light the first 50. I've looked in the controller and there are no jumpers on it (I saw J1-J3 were used to hardwire the pixel count, but there is no jumper on any). I went into the HW cofig, into Pixie config and changed the WS2811 (800 Khz) - RGB to be 100 pixels per port while leaving 50 for the logical resolution. THis change still only lights the first 50, but then any sunsequent attempt to change color only does it for the first 5 pixels.

So here I sit, scratching my head hoping someone here has done this before. Seems like it should be straight forward simple. 

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Paul Masterson said:

I bought the Pixie8 controller with 8x50 square pixels. I have found that, to outline the windows, I am better to have a string be 100 pixels. I see that I can couple the two strands together but it will only light the first 50. I've looked in the controller and there are no jumpers on it (I saw J1-J3 were used to hardwire the pixel count, but there is no jumper on any). I went into the HW cofig, into Pixie config and changed the WS2811 (800 Khz) - RGB to be 100 pixels per port while leaving 50 for the logical resolution. THis change still only lights the first 50, but then any sunsequent attempt to change color only does it for the first 5 pixels.

So here I sit, scratching my head hoping someone here has done this before. Seems like it should be straight forward simple. 

Thanks in advance

Does it work with the Test Button?

If it does not, double check the connection between Px 50-51 , it me need to be inserted and removed a few times to clear corrosion.

Also, try the second string direct to the Pixie (just in case its first px is bad and it wont pass the bucket 😄)

BTW is this a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Pixie8

1- update the firmware

2- there is NOTHING other than someone who doesn’t know telling anyone to place a jumper on J3/ J4 and the sheet that comes with the pixie or may have come with the pixie told you to put a jumper on JP5 - DO NOT install that jumper

Only JP2 needs a jumper

Also in HU go to the configuration tab/ CCR / Pixie Config double check that you have not changed the Logical Resolution to 100- not needed for 95% of users

If that doesn’t work let me know

Ok, so it seems I got it configured right to be 100 pixels in length. SOLID! :)

Now I am stuck on SuperStar. I can't figure out a way to create a pixel visualizer with 100 pixels, it seems to stop at 50. Any helpful hints with regards to how to create a 100 pixel square (4 of them) so I can grogram in SuperStar?

Thanks as always

2 hours ago, Paul Masterson said:

Ok, so it seems I got it configured right to be 100 pixels in length. SOLID! :)

Now I am stuck on SuperStar. I can't figure out a way to create a pixel visualizer with 100 pixels, it seems to stop at 50. Any helpful hints with regards to how to create a 100 pixel square (4 of them) so I can grogram in SuperStar?

Thanks as always

Depends on how many ccrs you have purchased. It’s been a while but I think I can sequence 100 nodes at once.

In SS 1- CCR = 1 string of 50 nodes.

If you are attempting to sequence 8 rows of 100 you will need 16 ccrs 

You may want to verify before purchasing more though.

I only sequence my circles with SS since about 2017. 

JR

6 hours ago, Paul Masterson said:

This answer assumes you are using S4 as your profile indicates.

Keep in mind that it's been years since I used S4, but as I recall, you can't create a string of more than 50 RGB pixels that runs on a LOR network in S4 Visualizer.  You can create longer strings with DMX, but not LOR network.  There is a possible workaround (I had to do the opposite in S3 when you could not create strings of DMX pixels at all).  This workaround works if you are exporting from S4 as a traditional .lms file as opposed to intensity files (sorry, I can't remember the exact terminology).  Here's the workaround.  Create a visualization that has the longer strings as DMX universes.  Use that visualization for your SuperStar layout.  Sequence normally.  When completed, export as a .lms file into a new sequence.  Open the sequence that you want to put the SuperStar sequencing into, and also open the new export .lms file from SuperStar.  Then copy the entirety of the sequencing from the export file and past it into the channels in the target sequence.  Note that if your channel layout in Sequence Editor has channel lines for the CCR macro channels, you will need to do the copy and paste on CCR worth at a time.

The long term answer is to move up to S5 (BUT NOT NOW).  If you make the jump to S5, do so in January so you have most of the year to figure out the changes.  There is plenty of help here...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

This answer assumes you are using S4 as your profile indicates.

Keep in mind that it's been years since I used S4, but as I recall, you can't create a string of more than 50 RGB pixels that runs on a LOR network in S4 Visualizer.  You can create longer strings with DMX, but not LOR network.  There is a possible workaround (I had to do the opposite in S3 when you could not create strings of DMX pixels at all).  This workaround works if you are exporting from S4 as a traditional .lms file as opposed to intensity files (sorry, I can't remember the exact terminology).  Here's the workaround.  Create a visualization that has the longer strings as DMX universes.  Use that visualization for your SuperStar layout.  Sequence normally.  When completed, export as a .lms file into a new sequence.  Open the sequence that you want to put the SuperStar sequencing into, and also open the new export .lms file from SuperStar.  Then copy the entirety of the sequencing from the export file and past it into the channels in the target sequence.  Note that if your channel layout in Sequence Editor has channel lines for the CCR macro channels, you will need to do the copy and paste on CCR worth at a time.

The long term answer is to move up to S5 (BUT NOT NOW).  If you make the jump to S5, do so in January so you have most of the year to figure out the changes.  There is plenty of help here...

Nailed it!