Light-O-Rama Forums

Max Exact # of RGB Nodes total

Moshack

Hey everyone,

Just started running RGB pixels this year and I am running into an issue.  For some reason, it seems like I can only max out at 100 Nodes (individual square pixels) per input.  I thought the max circuit was 510 which would amount to 170 pixels, correct?  I thought I wouldn’t have to add power injection just after two strings of 50 square pixels (100 total).  Plus, I would imagine that if I “needed” power injection, the pixels over that 100 threshold would just be dimmer than the rest.  But mine are not turning on at all. 

I’ve checked to make sure it’s not the string of lights and I believe my Prop Definition is correct (even maxed it out to utilize all 510 circuits even though I don’t have that many). 

Any help would be appreciated!  My roof line would look off if the last 12 pixels aren’t lighting up!

Thanks!

First of all, what hardware?

510 ( actually 512 ) channels is a hard limit in DMX ( and therefore E1.31 which is DMX over Ethernet ).  As for LOR networking, some controllers have various limits (hence my question about what hardware).

Correct about PI.  It's not a hard number (lots of variables), but pixels getting low voltage generally get dimmer and tend to color shift a bit towards pink.

If you are using a Pixie Controller - go into HU - then click Config - then click Comic Color/Pixie Config - set max pixels to 170

If you do not see the 170 option - then update your firmware

Edited by Jimehc

36 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

First of all, what hardware?

510 ( actually 512 ) channels is a hard limit in DMX ( and therefore E1.31 which is DMX over Ethernet ).  As for LOR networking, some controllers have various limits (hence my question about what hardware).

Correct about PI.  It's not a hard number (lots of variables), but pixels getting low voltage generally get dimmer and tend to color shift a bit towards pink.

I am using a Pixie16

23 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

If you are using a Pixie Controller - go into HU - then click Config - then click Comic Color/Pixie Config - set max pixels to 170

Trying this now. 

42 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

@Jimehc I tried this and it did not result in anything different.  Not sure if I am doing something wrong or what not (added a screenshot of what option I chose).  But what is odd is that every time I go back into HU, it resets those parameters (even though I get the "Device has received the Options Setting" notice after choosing the 170 and clicking OK).  Thoughts?

LightoRama_Issue.PNG

18 minutes ago, Moshack said:

@Jimehc I tried this and it did not result in anything different.  Not sure if I am doing something wrong or what not (added a screenshot of what option I chose).  But what is odd is that every time I go back into HU, it resets those parameters (even though I get the "Device has received the Options Setting" notice after choosing the 170 and clicking OK).  Thoughts?

LightoRama_Issue.PNG

What is the firmware version showing?

Look for and remove any jumper on JP3, JP4 or JP5

I would also update the S5 software to at least 5.6.0

JR

Edited by dibblejr

26 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

What is the firmware version showing?

Look for and remove any jumper on JP3, JP4 or JP5

I would also update the S5 software to at least 5.6.0

JR

Just updated to use 5.6.6 and here is what Firmware is showing.  Not sure where to find the Firmware version or anything though.

Firmware.PNG.jpg

Edited by Moshack

3 minutes ago, Moshack said:

Just updated to use 5.6.6 and here is what Firmware is showing.  What is weird though is that there is no Firmware file selected... not sure if that is normal looking in this view?

Firmware.PNG.jpg

Update that firmware to 1.07

When you do the update only have one controller connected

Also what unit ID do you expect to use with the pixie16?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/amp/

Edited by dibblejr

Just now, dibblejr said:

To update the fw

Follow the link

Scroll down to Pixie16D

Download and save 1.07 to your computer

Open HU

Refresh and find the controller

Select update fw

Locate the file you downloaded

Update

It may take a few mins

If I were yoi I would change your “max unit ID” to around 50

Thats top right corner of HU will save you time searching for controllers

Any probs feel free to send me a PM

JR

5 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Update that firmware to 1.07

When you do the update only have one controller connected

Also what unit ID do you expect to use with the pixie16?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/amp/

It looks like it is already using 1.07.  I did set up my pixie16 to use 01 for the unit ID.  All of my light are working as expected except the 100+ pixel issue.

FirmwareVersion.jpg

Your HU screen shot showed 1.4 (it is right next to the ID found

You need to INSTALL that FW onto the pixie.  Best if you ONLY have the device on  the net by itself

Use the Firmware button, select that file, then send it. It can take over a minute and it MUST report 'Success'

14 minutes ago, Moshack said:

It looks like it is already using 1.07.  I did set up my pixie16 to use 01 for the unit ID.  All of my light are working as expected except the 100+ pixel issue.

FirmwareVersion.jpg

Update the fw- that fw is very old and for S5 you need to update it as I stated earlier.

That and updating your S5 software should solve your problem.

Update fw first and then test your results if not good update S5

JR

Did you check the controller pins to ensure no jumpers on the pins I mentioned above?

That is also a must do. If yoi received instructions telling you to Install the jumper on JP5- please remove the jumper. Those instructions will be updated by LOR in the future.

JR

Hi,

I just tried to update one of my Pixie2D controllers to version 1.07 from 1,04.  The load failed and now I only see "10BootLoader PX02" in the in the "Select Unit to Configure Box".  I tried it twice and now just tried to go back to 1.04 and it also failed with a message of "Invalid Datablock Poll Response".  All the jumpers are off of JP5..  

Has any one seen this?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

36 minutes ago, JAF said:

Hi,

I just tried to update one of my Pixie2D controllers to version 1.07 from 1,04.  The load failed and now I only see "10BootLoader PX02" in the in the "Select Unit to Configure Box".  I tried it twice and now just tried to go back to 1.04 and it also failed with a message of "Invalid Datablock Poll Response".  All the jumpers are off of JP5..  

Has any one seen this?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

Sounds as if you attempted to install the wrong fw for the pixie2

Any pixie controller that is in Bootloader must be sent to LOR for service

Please submit a HD ticket and tell them your pixie2 is in Bootloader after a failed attempt at updating. They will ask a few questions and send you an RMA if it’s under warranty.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I do have another question:  Can the number of pixels be over 100 for a port for the Pixie 2D?  I have a mini tree with 170 pixels and want to use 1 port.

Thanks,

Alan

25 minutes ago, JAF said:

I do have another question:  Can the number of pixels be over 100 for a port for the Pixie 2D?  I have a mini tree with 170 pixels and want to use 1 port.

Thanks,

Alan

Yes, however so not use at 100%

Stay around 30-40% and have the prop as close to the pixie2 as possible

Remember updating fw in most cases is as a last resort and only if someone from the HD asks you to.

What makes you think it’s not in warranty?

If it’s not under warranty LOR will let you send it in shipping both ways is on you and then they charge a small fee for repair.

JR

Edited by dibblejr