Light-O-Rama Forums

Cosmic Color Ribbon Controller

Lightnewbie

Hi all,

I have a showtime central package with mini director, CTB16PC and a cosmic color ribbon with CCR controller.

Do I need to assign my cosmic color ribbon controller a unit ID in the software like my CTB16PC controller? 

Yes.  You need to use the Hardware Utility to assign the Unit ID to the CCR controller, and also in your sequencing.  Is this the original CCR or the newer CCR2?

A Basic License is only good for 2 DUMB device ID's (01,02) ,

Pixies (CCR) suck up 1 ID PER PORT (in use or not),  So an AC and a Pixie2 needs 3 ID's

and you need Pro to do other things with Pixies.

Hence my original question if this is a CCR2 (Pixie 2) or an original CCR.  However your statement is partially incorrect.  A pixie 2 with an assigned Unit ID of 02 will use ID 03 for the second port.  It will work just fine with a Basic level license (see next sentence) - but only on the first port.  However as noted, the Pixie controllers May or may not require an ELOR network (depends on which docs you read) which does require a Pro level license.  The original CCR controller absolutely will work as Unit ID 02 with the Basic level license.

The original CCRs are a small black box with a 4 pin connector header and communication port on them. They are power supplied by adapter, barrel type connector to ac plug.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Hence my original question if this is a CCR2 (Pixie 2) or an original CCR.  However your statement is partially incorrect.  A pixie 2 with an assigned Unit ID of 02 will use ID 03 for the second port.  It will work just fine with a Basic level license (see next sentence) - but only on the first port.  However as noted, the Pixie controllers May or may not require an ELOR network (depends on which docs you read) which does require a Pro level license.  The original CCR controller absolutely will work as Unit ID 02 with the Basic level license.

I follow when you say ID and I know how an ID is assigned in hardware utility. But I’m not familiar when you both say “PORT”. What does that mean?

16 minutes ago, Lightnewbie said:

I follow when you say ID and I know how an ID is assigned in hardware utility. But I’m not familiar when you both say “PORT”. What does that mean?

Port is where you attach a string of lights to the controller. A Pixie8 has 8...

Yes, That is the older model (not a Pixie2)

If you don't have the manual, it is available (by model #) at the LOR documentation page

So does that mean my basic level software subscription will handle 1 ac controller and one old CCR controller? Because both will only need 1 unit ID? 

Edited by Lightnewbie

2 minutes ago, Lightnewbie said:

So does that mean my basic level software subscription will handle 1 ac controller and one old CCR controller? Because both will only need 1 unit ID? 

Correct.

Does that also mean I’ve tapped out my basic level software subscription? And I therefor can’t have another old CCR controller in my show? Or can I have 1 AC controller and 2 dumb device IDs? 

Edited by Lightnewbie

Personally, you're going to end up having to go PRO getting into Pixels.  Might as well do it now, as then you have no worries about how many controllers you can have as your display grows,  I stared with Basic+ and outgrew that in less than 15 days!  So went with what was the Cadillac at the time, Advanced License, but as my display started moving into RGB lighting and Controllers, PRO was and is the only real way to go.  For one thing, PRO offers enhanced capability with the newer controllers, still no limit on Controllers you can have, as well as using other options.   If you can do it, I'd definitely just upgrade to PRO, then as your display changes and grows, you don't have to worry about # of controllers or whether your license level will cover what you want to do.  As PRO license pretty much covers everything {except Super Star, that's an add-on license}

5 minutes ago, Lightnewbie said:

Does that also mean I’ve tapped out my basic level software subscription? And I therefor can’t have another old CCR controller in my show? Or can I have 1 AC controller and 2 dumb device IDs? 

Basic is 2 ID's   To see what is allowed http://www1.lightorama.com/showtime-sequencing-suite/#levels

FWIW You UPGRADE (get a new KEY to enter), not a full repurchase or install. If you are going towards Pixels, bite the bullet and just go Pro

FWIW I also went from Basic to Basic+ and hit the wall almost immediately 🙁 and jumped to Pro

6 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Basic is 2 ID's   To see what is allowed http://www1.lightorama.com/showtime-sequencing-suite/#levels

FWIW You UPGRADE (get a new KEY to enter), not a full repurchase or install. If you are going towards Pixels, bite the bullet and just go Pro

FWIW I also went from Basic to Basic+ and hit the wall almost immediately 🙁 and jumped to Pro

That's a new one to me: Get a new key?

I've been using the same key ever since I got into this hobby in 2010, it's never changed, and I've upgrade at least twice since that time.  My key has never changed or been changed, not even once!