Light-O-Rama Forums

Assign unit ID’s

tonyloga

Hi Everyone

When I assigned my unit ID’s I forgot about the hex code. Can I change the 6 unit ID’s while all are plugged in or should I just change them one at a time with the one I’m changing only plugged in  

Thanks 

Tony 

First of all, there is no NEED to change the IDs.  With your Pro level license you can use any IDs that you want.  You have two choices.  You can edit your preview to match the actual controller numbers, or you can change the controllers to match the Preview.

However with that said, if your controllers have either DIP switches or rotary switches to set the IDs, you need to change the switches.  If your controllers use the Hardware Utility to change IDs, then you have to use the HU to change the IDs.  You can do it one at a time with all the controllers connected IF you use the setting to change one particular ID to a new ID.  If you use the setting to change all controllers, you will end up with all of the controllers changed to that one ID - and that makes it harder to recover.

I would avoid doing that BECAUSE of the duplicate.  This only applies to the Selected Network (if you have more than 1)

Normally, you can use the lower section of the ID change: fill in the OLD, fill in the NEW (base)

BTW  Technically each NETWORK could have a ID 6.  I really don't think you should do that because it is really subtle and easy to miss. A Gotcha in waiting