Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights come on randomly.

Dr_Aplet

Here is something that I have not seen in the threads yet.  

I have a 16PC controller with 6 channels used.  On each of the channels I have one strand of mini incandessants lining my walk way.  i have 4 color RGBs on a CMD24.  I am finding when i leave in the morning for work i will have 1 or 2 strands of lights lit.  channel 1 and 2 usually.  i was pretty sure they were all going off at night.  I confirmed last night all the lights were off, again this morning when I left for work they were off.  but i had to come back at noon and found one strand on, channel 1.  It seem to be random at this point.  I will unplug one side of my controller and it goes off, if i immediately plug it back in it comes back on.  but if i leave it unplugged for a while and come back it stays off(unplug when i leave for work and plug it in when i get home.  Both plugs are plugged into the same circuit but there is not enough load for it to be a problem. 
the Show is set to turn lights off.  

I have a dedicated laptop, with 5S software.  16PC i bought new last year.  

Is this software or hardware, scheduler, show,  sequence related.  Is it too small of a load and i need a snubber? any help is appreciated.  would like to solve this before i start my christmas stuff. 

after i got home i looked more carefully and saw that these are LEDs.  so i think from what i read the 2 best courses are;

1) flip the plug around on the offending light

2) add a snubber in that line somewhere (i presume to increase the resistance so the controller can see it better and/or bleed off the small amount of power that leak to the lights

let me know if that is the advised course of action.

Try #1 since that is easy.  If that does not help, try adding a snubber.  An incan light is a simple test - some people use a night light (make sure to use one with a on/off mechanical switch - not an automatic).