Light-O-Rama Forums

Speaker Connection

dkoehler42

What kind of speakers can I use on the 1602 controller with the built-in card reader?  Is the aux port powered?

If it has a 1/8th inch audio jack, you need powered speakers, similar to speakers used on your PC. It will be line level stereo audio. List the exact model for more info.

I believe it is the LOR1602Wg3.  I saw a speaker on WOWLights, but there isn't much information, and it's a little bit of money. I didn't know what specs to look for in an alternative option.  Is there a common make and model for outdoor use that other LOR users have purchased?

I don't believe the 1602WG3 has an audio output, so only non musical Animation sequences can be used in the Stand Alone SD card mode.

If you are running from  a PC then it will be line level audio and you will either need an amplifier, receiver or powered speakers or something like a boombox with an aux input. You need to figure what you have and tell us for an accurate answer.

I have a LOR1602Wg3-MP3 controlling an old 1602 controller by ELL.  I'm pretty sure there's an aux/3.5mm output, but I'm not going outside to check in the dark right now.  

I verified it is a 1602W with the onboard G3-MP3 director.  There is an aux port.  What type of speaker would I need for outside use?  I'm assuming an amplifier wouldn't work between the power constraints and the elements.

The directors audio out is a 1/8 inch headphone type jack. It carries line level audio, just like any audio component. 

You need an amp or receiver and passive speakers  or self powered speakers. 

This is an example of something that might work, I have never used it.

LyxPro SPA-8 Compact 8" Portable PA System 100-Watt RMS Power Active Speaker System Equalizer Bluetooth SD Slot USB MP3 XLR 1/4" 1/8" 3.5mm Inputs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017TIA1RC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_9R0V5JD3RF8QZS18YFME?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Most speakers designed for desktop  computers would also work.

If they are not waterproof you can protect them with a black garbage bag.

You will need a stereo cable with a 1/8 in headphone style plug on one end, and the appropriate plug on the other end for the speaker.

There are no "power constraints". It is line level audio. As I said above I used a boom box in a garbage bag for several seasons 

Here is the director manual.

https://www1.lightorama.com/Documents/G3-MP3_Man_Web.pdf

Page 9 details the audio jack 

The aux port is for external triggers and has nothing to do with the audio