Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Tree is S5

dolson86

20 minutes ago, dolson86 said:

Hi, if I have a 16x50 pixel tree can I run a Pixie 8? How do I set that up in S5?

Yes

Prop def

number of pixels per string - 100

Number of Folds= 1

On the prop = connect two strings together to make the 100

JR

Edited by dibblejr

6 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Yes

Prop def

number of pixels per string - 100

Number of Folds= 1

On the prop = connect two strings together to make the 100

JR

Thank you! What is the best way to connect the two strings together??

I assume you mean that you have two physical strings of 50 pixels that you want to connect together in order to have string lengths of 100 pixels.

The answer depends a bit on the configuration of the strings you are buying, and your skills.  Some strings come with waterproof connectors on the ends.  If that is the case, you can just connect the starting end of one string to the end of the first string.  That is the easiest.

If your pixel strings come with a small plastic obviously NOT waterproof connector (called a JST if I remember right), you will likely need to cut those off and solder either pigtails with waterproof connector or just solder the wires together.  Depending on lengths, you may need to add some wire to get the section between the strings on your tree as far apart as you need.  If you solder the wires, you will want to waterproof them.  Do not simply wrap with electrical tape.  Best is the heat shrink tubing that has the inside layer that turns to goo when you heat them up.  As an alternative, apply a layer of silicon sealer over the solder connection and then standard heat shrink tubing over that.  Put enough silicon that it oozes out the ends when you shrink the tubing.  It's a lot messier to do it that way.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

I assume you mean that you have two physical strings of 50 pixels that you want to connect together in order to have string lengths of 100 pixels.

The answer depends a bit on the configuration of the strings you are buying, and your skills.  Some strings come with waterproof connectors on the ends.  If that is the case, you can just connect the starting end of one string to the end of the first string.  That is the easiest.

If your pixel strings come with a small plastic obviously NOT waterproof connector (called a JST if I remember right), you will likely need to cut those off and solder either pigtails with waterproof connector or just solder the wires together.  Depending on lengths, you may need to add some wire to get the section between the strings on your tree as far apart as you need.  If you solder the wires, you will want to waterproof them.  Do not simply wrap with electrical tape.  Best is the heat shrink tubing that has the inside layer that turns to goo when you heat them up.  As an alternative, apply a layer of silicon sealer over the solder connection and then standard heat shrink tubing over that.  Put enough silicon that it oozes out the ends when you shrink the tubing.  It's a lot messier to do it that way.

My strings have the JST connections on them and I have Xconnect dangles. So do I just solder two strings together on the bottom with a male xconnect? I guess I'm just confused on what is the best way to go about doing that

7 minutes ago, dolson86 said:

My strings have the JST connections on them and I have Xconnect dangles. So do I just solder two strings together on the bottom with a male xconnect? I guess I'm just confused on what is the best way to go about doing that

You have two options

Connect the JST connectors together in the center and waterproof really well.

Or cut the connectors and solder the xconnect pigtails on. You can get low heat pre solders bullet connectors or butt connectors.

Just a heat gun on Amazon or harbor freight will do.

They have a heat shrink on theM as well but I always put extra heat shrink and place silicone inside and pull the heat shrink over the silicone. Heat and yiu will see the silicone ooze from the heat shrink. I’ve been doing that on my boats for what about 40 years.

I have videos on how I do it.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

20 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

You have two options

Connect the JST connectors together in the center and waterproof really well.

Or cut the connectors and solder the xconnect pigtails on. You can get low heat pre solders bullet connectors or butt connectors.

Just a heat gun on Amazon or harbor freight will do.

They have a heat shrink on theM as well but I always put extra heat shrink and place silicone inside and pull the heat shrink over the silicone. Heat and yiu will see the silicone ooze from the heat shrink. I’ve been doing that on my boats for what about 40 years.

I have videos on how I do it.

JR

Sorry I'm probably wording my question wrong...I have 16 strings and will be using a pixie 8 which will have 8 female xconnect coming from it. What is the best way to get two strings together into that one female connector. If that makes sense

Controller Connector Female > < Male Connector ----------- String 1 --------------------- Female Connector >< Male Connector ----------- String 2 ------------------Female Connector / Cap / Sealed End -]]

String 1 will go from bottom to top - string 2 will go from top to bottom (which is 100 pixels folded = 50 up & 50 down) string 1 & 2 will share the same controller port - same for 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, etc....

Edit: Or splice strings together to create a 100 pixel string and run 50 pixel up one mounting strip and the other 50 pixels down a mounting strip (this will save you from using additional connectors - But does have the disadvantage of strips/strings being separated)

Edited by Jimehc

51 minutes ago, dolson86 said:

Sorry I'm probably wording my question wrong...I have 16 strings and will be using a pixie 8 which will have 8 female xconnect coming from it. What is the best way to get two strings together into that one female connector. If that makes sense

Buy xconnect male and female pigtails

1- make on the end going to the controller male

1- Female on the opposite end 

1- make on second string 

If your controller is bottom left (most common) go up and back down for port 1,   continue that process to end

Yoi can either just silicone, cut or solder pigtails on the open ends (jst connectors)

JR

Edited by dibblejr

20 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Buy xconnect male and female pigtails

1- make on the end going to the controller male

1- Female on the opposite end 

1- make on second string 

If your controller is bottom left (most common) go up and back down for port 1,   continue that process to end

Yoi can either just silicone, cut or solder pigtails on the open ends (jst connectors)

JR

I got it!! Thank you lightbulb finally light!