Light-O-Rama Forums

Naming channels- one by one question

steve synek

I am using S4 and am adding channels to my existing 6000 channel sequence.  About 1500 new channels this year.  Part of these additions are singing faces and I would like to label each face part.  Each part is a single dumb dmx channel(not rgb).  Manually each name change takes about 50 seconds of wait time.  Frustrating to say the least.   I am using window 10  i7 2.8gh  32gb ram on computer. 

My question is - is this ok to do?  I opened my ICC file in note pad and can carefully change the channel name and resave. This seemed to work much quicker doing a very quick test.   Anything wrong with doing this?

Thanks in advance for what I hope will be a confirmation this is ok to do.

Steve

Just now, steve synek said:

I am using S4 and am adding channels to my existing 6000 channel sequence.  About 1500 new channels this year.  Part of these additions are singing faces and I would like to label each face part.  Each part is a single dumb dmx channel(not rgb).  Manually each name change takes about 50 seconds of wait time.  Frustrating to say the least.   I am using window 10  i7 2.8gh  32gb ram on computer. 

My question is - is this ok to do?  I opened my ICC file in note pad and can carefully change the channel name and resave. This seemed to work much quicker doing a very quick test.   Anything wrong with doing this?

Thanks in advance for what I hope will be a confirmation this is ok to do.

Steve

So it was not my rig (only 4G RAM). You just saved me money 👍 It did not seem to take that long when the laptop was W7.

I collapse the group and name that with maybe a location when I have multiples. Tomb Far Left, Tomb Left...

Editing the Xml is fine provided you understand that a misplaced character can prevent the file from working, so be very very careful and work on a copy.

I recommend Notepad ++ for text editing. Windows Notepad gas been known to reformat text.

• Like 1

I have manually edited the xml files as well.  I agree with Phil that you can easily mess up the file and make it non-readable by the LOR software.  Save the file OFTEN WITH A NEW NAME, and open each saved file with the LOR software to make sure it still works.

This is all to bold for me. I just painstakingly number the nodes since the numbers are crucial and without number each time I start a new sequence in the past everything had to be resorted. With custom node placement its impossible to get them sorted correctly. I give each fixture of my prop a different color, once all are found I then put them in order. These are smart RGBs. Some props are 600+ 

JR